Coccidiosis or Shedding intestinal lining? Laying coming soon?

Farmgirl805

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Ventura, CA
I have five new pullets, just a few days shy of 16 wks old. This morning I went out to feed some scratch and other treats (spring mix lettuce, dry oatmeal and scrambled eggs- just a small handful or so of each) and I found one fresh runny, bloody poop. Everyone seems to be behaving normally and interested in food. I’m not sure who left this for me to find, if it’s coccidiosis I want to separate and treat. (Treat everyone else too I assume?) what might the Corid dosage be - does anyone know? Also, as a side note, a few of my gals have really red combs and wattles. Could they be preparing to lay and I need not be so worried? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• DF406FA8-9AB7-4B96-AD9E-A74F2930D3E6.jpeg
    DF406FA8-9AB7-4B96-AD9E-A74F2930D3E6.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 26
Red combs and wattles do indicate hormones are kicking in and they could be close to lay. They may start soon, or because of shortening days, wait until spring.

The droppings look suspicious to me. Intestinal lining is pink and stringy, not watery red. I would be suspicious of coccidiosis and treat everyone unless you wish to go to a vet and have a fecal done.

I don't have the dosage off the top of my head. It should be on the Corid bottle.
@casportpony should have a chart somewhere.

LofMc

If possible, get a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.

Dosing for Corid is 2tsp for the Liquid or 1 1/2tsp for the Powder. Mix in 1 gallon of water and give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Make a fresh batch daily.
Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements to the water or feed during the course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom