Coccidiosis vs worms

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
We had an outbreak of coccidiosis in our younger pullets earlier this winter and treated both flocks preventatively with Corid. No symptoms then and none now. I’ve been spotting some yellow frothy stool from the older pullets recently, one of the layers has a bit of a messy bum (lower feathers only). Should I do another round of Corid or is it worms? I don’t mind treating for both, but wasn’t sure mixing meds would be ok

Can you get some photos?

The best way to see if worms are an issue it to have a fecal float performed by your vet. Gather a sampling of droppings and have them take a look if that's possible.

Sometimes a layer's messy bum is just that - a messy bum. Poop ends up sticking to fluff and it needs to be cleaned off. Trimming extra fluffy gals can help.

Sometimes a messy bum can be something else too so give her a look see for lice/mites while you clean off the poop.

If getting a fecal float is not possible, then yes, you can treat for Coccidiosis and worms at the same time. Corid is a Coccidiostat that goes in the water and dewormers are Anthelmintics and for the most part dosed orally by weight.

Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid Powder dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) can be used to treat most worms that chickens have except for Tapeworms.
Safeguard dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. Molting birds should not be given Fenbendazole because it can affect feather quality of molting birds.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Can you get some photos?

The best way to see if worms are an issue it to have a fecal float performed by your vet. Gather a sampling of droppings and have them take a look if that's possible.

Sometimes a layer's messy bum is just that - a messy bum. Poop ends up sticking to fluff and it needs to be cleaned off. Trimming extra fluffy gals can help.

Sometimes a messy bum can be something else too so give her a look see for lice/mites while you clean off the poop.

If getting a fecal float is not possible, then yes, you can treat for Coccidiosis and worms at the same time. Corid is a Coccidiostat that goes in the water and dewormers are Anthelmintics and for the most part dosed orally by weight.

Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid Powder dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) can be used to treat most worms that chickens have except for Tapeworms.
Safeguard dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. Molting birds should not be given Fenbendazole because it can affect feather quality of molting birds.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.
Thank you, such helpful info! I love when everything gets put out with specifics. Otherwise I get awful decision paralysis :/

B988A52A-67E9-424D-97D7-E7562F847034.jpeg
538E02B5-3BCA-48CB-BA27-4EE79F8D07F6.jpeg

The problem is worms are easy to treat and the medicines have little or no side effects. Cocci on the other hand, the medicine has potential long and short term side effects.

So I always treat worms first, but thats just what I have learned works for me. I never treat cocci though mainly because i don't think the sulfa meds i have ever help.

Thank you, such helpful info! I love when everything gets put out with specifics. Otherwise I get awful decision paralysis :/

View attachment 2943531View attachment 2943532
The problem is worms are easy to treat and the medicines have little or no side effects. Cocci on the other hand, the medicine has potential long and short term side effects.
I would treat for both Coccidiosis and worms.

@Banana01 what are the long and short term side effects when using Corid (Amprolium)?

I would treat for both Coccidiosis and worms.

@Banana01 what are the long and short term side effects when using Corid (Amprolium)?

Ideally a fecal float would determine of cocci is present and also worms. Some people do their own fecal floats at home. Since no fecal float is available, worm treatment is just easier to do compared to treating with corid.

De-wormer
Individual treatment, you dont need to treat the whole flock
One time treatment possible
Egg and slaughter withdrawal periods known
No drug interactions

Corid
Indicated solely for entire flock treatment and removal of fresh water sources.
Drench, 5-day, and 21-day treatments
Zero forgiveness for incorrect usage and improper dosage
May need thiamine restart after treatment
Best used as a preventative before cocci outbreaks

If you are looking for side effects, the side effects of cocci outbreaks is worse than any side effect of corid. But op already treated for cocci previously, so better to eliminate worms as any possibility or else they are just going in circles.

Back
Top Bottom