cockerals feathers are falling out

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I have a splash orpington cockeral born in June and his feathers are falling out big time.Its mostly his wing feathers.He has been limping and when he sits down his legs and feet stick out in front of him.He eats very well and drink,his poop look normal.I have been giving him yogurt with raw garlic in it,and the last three days putting vit and elelctolites in the water.His legs have been like this for about two weeks.Someone said maybe Merecks but it has gone on two long and he does not have one leg out behind him and one in front and it does not seem to be getting worse.Any thoughts as to what could be going on with him?
44824_legs_out_2.jpg
This how he sits

I can't speak to how he's sitting, but it sounds like he is molting. There can be a series of molts before the first "big one", or some just go through early molts. Don't know if that is the case here. Does it look like new feathers are coming in where he is loosing them?

Sorry, I just read the part where you say he is limping. Could he have been injured?

Last edited:
That was I was thinking maybe he sprained or pulled something in his leg or hip.Wouldn`t he be to young for a molt?He is close to 5 months old

Quote:
They can go through partial molts early. If you see thing that look like porcupine quills sticking out, those are new feathers coming in. This is just a guess. I really don't know if there is a disease that would account for the limping and the feather loss. Hopefully, someone else will.

Back
Top Bottom