Cockerel behaviour towards child

Pics
Even if you have brought a chick in from the HOUSE to a broody hen, the rooster may think that you’re “stealing baby chicks!!” (the horror!)

When a protective rooster knows there are hens with chicks, he may be especially vigilant about anything involving chicks. That is part of the way they protect broods against predators like hawks when a broody hen is free-ranging with her chicks.

Last night and a few days ago, I introduced two baby chicks to a hen with a brood. Everything went fine because I did it after dark. Checked this morning, and everything was fine.

Yes, I have been beaked by a rooster when I was “stealing babies” to put them in a cage with their mama that was so much more secure than a nesting box 4 feet off the ground! The rooster involved is for breeding stock of a local breed, so he’s going in a breeding coop with HIS hens rather than the overall flock and the egg-layers.
You may be right. I hadn't thought he would have any instincts about the chicks. I've obviously underestimated him

You may be right. I hadn't thought he would have any instincts about the chicks. I've obviously underestimated him
Even if it’s a little fluffy Silkie, you never know.

Some chickens have this instinct passed down from ancient lineages where the males protect the hens and their broods from predators on the assumption of free-ranging pretty much anywhere.

Roosters with that instinct will protect baby chicks even if the baby chicks are NOT theirs.

The rooster who actually is the father of the chicks that I was moving is very gentle, but has shown interest by hanging out in that area more than usual.

But...in the UK we rarely call them cocks in conversation, because it probably has other connotations!
Same here in the US, which is funny because chickens don't have them. :gig
Gotta know your audience, I often use cockbird for an adult bird.

Though I do like our little Britishisms here
I do too!

The only predators we have in the UK where i live are buzzards and red kites, and foxes. Those birds of prey don't hunt at night and we haven't had any attempted attacks during the day. Foxes don't come into my fenced garden where the chickens are. I don't think it is this. I think another poster was right about the disruption caused by broodies and babies and the flock hierarchy changing

Do you guys not get badgers, and stuff like that either?

Thanks.

Do you guys not get badgers, and stuff like that either?

Thanks.
Yeah we have loads of badger setts near where I live in the countryside. They have so much easier food than hunting for chickens. I just read up and found out that 80% of their diet is earthworms. Plenty of wild mice, rabbits, ground nesting birds for them, plus they also eat fruit, berries, roots, so they don't need to work hard for food here, and they are so shy of humans, and also too big to get into my garden. We have weasels too but they are small and quite rare. They'd definitely take eggs, and are small enough to get into the coop, not sure about taking adult birds.

Foxes are bolder, clever, can climb, and are opportunistic, but again too much easy pickings with wild rabbits and small mammals that they don't come near homes much in the countryside. In cities, that is another story. They live on human garbage there and are prolific and fearless. Beautiful animals though! I used to watch cute little fox cubs playing at the train station by the trackside when I lived in London.

Funny, I started another thread recently comparing chicken predators in the UK and US. You guys have all the good ones!

Back
Top Bottom