Cockerel issue

The older group is about 6 weeks older than the younger group. I'm definitely not keeping any of the younger boys cause they pick on the girls too much. I raised them all from chicks, I'd set my eye on the oldest because he's displayed all the qualities one wants in a good rooster until this, he's the same age as some of the girls. He's not attempted to go after my husband. I'd just like to see if he'll stay his normal mellow self when there's no competition left. He doesn't even bother me when I go get the eggs, only after a boy is removed. I've seen him dancing towards the boys too and I'm not sure if he's asserting dominance or he see's them as part of his flock? I thought boys would just fight, not dance at each other lol

The dance can be a bird's prelude to fighting, and it is an attempt to assert dominance in *every* situation.
If the other bird (or person, or animal) submits (squats, leaves, backs down, runs) then no need to exert himself and fight, he gets to take what he wants, be it food, space, a mating.

Back
Top Bottom