Cockerels or Pullets?

Not speaking for OP, but I will say I grew up with chickens my entire life 30+ years, and it wasn’t until after I bought my first five for my own backyard that I learned about autosexing/sex links. Let’s just say mind blown 🤯 😂
My husband grew up on a farm with “all”the animals, lol. He didn’t even really know about autosexing/sex links. I’m sure it is a fantastic thing, and in the future we will probably use that method. This was the route we chose that we felt was a great learning experience. I wouldn’t change a thing. Just thought we could gather some insight here from other chicken experts. 😁

Wow, really. 8 years ago when I got my first flock and knew I didn't want roosters, I did my research and got 4 sexlinks. All of the retail farm stores have them.18 chickens later, still no roosters. I thought everyone could do the same.
Yea I definitely could have done that with my first 5, fortunately they just happened to all be pullets.. but I just thought getting some males was part of the deal. My whole life we just kept chickens due to the type of property both my parents had/have. It wasn’t until after I got my own little ones that I figured I should do more research beyond what I knew from growing up around it (farming/ranching) and that’s how I found this site. I’ve learned so much about chickens!

My husband grew up on a farm with “all”the animals, lol. He didn’t even really know about autosexing/sex links. I’m sure it is a fantastic thing, and in the future we will probably use that method. This was the route we chose that we felt was a great learning experience. I wouldn’t change a thing. Just thought we could gather some insight here from other chicken experts. 😁
Yes my husband and I always say my parents taught me a little bit about a lot of things, and a lot about just a few things. Chickens was not one of those things! But I’ve been learning as well! We plan to hatch some in the spring, ideally under a broody for my kids to observe the entire life cycle, I still have one that’s a little young to be trusted around an incubator (2.5 yrs)! Looks like you guys had a successful hatch! Good luck sifting!

Sorry I took so long to answer, but we ended up with 3 pullets and 8 cockerels. We gave the cockerels away and now just have our three girls.

Fluffy at 6 weeks
20231124_105144.jpg

Fluffy at 13 weeks (five weeks ago)
20240120_120033.jpg

Freda at 6 weeks
20231124_105914.jpg

Freda at 13 weeks (5 weeks ago)
20240120_120019.jpg

Zelda at 6 weeks
20231124_105659.jpg

Zelda at 13 weeks (five weeks ago)
20240120_120016.jpg