Cold snap and broilers

Bubblegum85

Chirping
Dec 18, 2020
Texas temperatures are about to drop here. My 25 broilers have been in their coop for weeks (coldest night was been about 40 degrees) but it's about to drop this weekend to a low of 18.
I'm going to tarp and block the wind but should I buy them an external heat source?
They are 6 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_20210209_135928596.jpg
    IMG_20210209_135928596.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 10
You could always add a big bundle of straw or hay or long dead grass that you cut from your yard or dump a bag of shavings in their bedding down area or something like that so they have something insulative to bed down in.

I envy your temps, it’s going to drop to -12 here this weekend. Haha. In all seriousness yours will be fine at that age with that much feather covering as long as they can get out of the elements.

We had some freezing temps all week, lost power and water most of the week but the girls did just fine. They weren't a fan of the snow 😂
I placed their water in their coop and it didn't freeze so the temp must have stayed warm enough with all of them in there at night.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We blocked the wind and added a ton of hay to insulate the ground.
FB_IMG_1614042170806.jpg

Back
Top Bottom