color genetics- lavender X bbs?

I like this topic, is there a reason why lav. should not be bred with BBS for personal color preferance? I like the look of lighter self blues in silkies and showgirls. would the Lav. help take the splochiness out of splash? Personally I think that splash and Self blue/Lav. look more blue than actual blue.

Blue and lavender are completely separate genes. Breeding a lavender to blue will do nothing to help or hinder the blue or the lavender colors, it just throws an additional gene or two in there to complicate the matter. The confusion comes in because they do appear so similar. Basically, the visual difference is that the blues have a dark edging around each feather, or should.

That they are separate genes is why it's said that a person is only complicating the matter by breeding blues and self blue, or lavender.

Splash is a result of a bird having two blue genes. One gene makes blue, two makes splash. With that in mind, it's easy to see why the different combinations of blue, black, and splash breedings come out the way they do. Again, it's completely unrelated to the lavender gene.

Last edited:
Blue and lavender are completely separate genes. Breeding a lavender to blue will do nothing to help or hinder the blue or the lavender colors, it just throws an additional gene or two in there to complicate the matter. The confusion comes in because they do appear so similar. Basically, the visual difference is that the blues have a dark edging around each feather, or should.
That they are separate genes is why it's said that a person is only complicating the matter by breeding blues and self blue, or lavender.
Splash is a result of a bird having two blue genes. One gene makes blue, two makes splash. With that in mind, it's easy to see why the different combinations of blue, black, and splash breedings come out the way they do. Again, it's completely unrelated to the lavender gene.

I have waited exactly 30 minutes to be able to post in this thread. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so correct. You are creating a mess by breeding Lav Orp Project birds to BBS in Orpingtons. Nothing but mutts or project birds of which you better be keeping journals/records and not selling them off as anything but a project.

I beg to disagree that they will be mutts they will be a higher % Orpingtons than the lavenders that one starts with. I agree there will be a lot of confusion especially if they are not familar with the genetics. I just came back from the Pa Farm show and there were 3 OEG bantams labeled self blues but genetically they appeared to be double genes of lavender and one gene of blue so it appears many people are confused. They were not the color of a pure lavender bird(as some call them self blue).

Hi all, so i hatched out some lavender orpingtons, and also some blue orptingtons. I was hoping for blacks from the BBS eggs, and got one, hoping for a rooster! (if not i have more eggs coming and hope for more black chicks) if i bred the lavenders to the black, blues and splashes, the calculator tells me i will get...

lav X splash = blue
lav X blue = black or blue
lav X black = black
black X splash = blue

i will set them up in 2 breeding pens and not keep any blues or else i wont know which offspring are split lavenders. I plan to keep pens with..

1) black rooster over lavender and splash hens, resulting black chicks will be split for lav and kept for next years breeding, blue offspring will be sold.
2) lav rooster over black and splash hens, resulting black chicks will be split for lav and kept for next years breeding, blue offspring will be sold.

i then plan to breed black split lavs from pens 1 & 2 together, they will be cousins i beleave (as all lavs are siblings and all BBS are siblings, likely 1/2 siblines sharing a father), better than sibling or back to parent!

sound like a plan? anything i missed? im planning ahead, they are to young yet to even tell what sex they are, im hoping i get a few pullets so i can have 2 pens!
I believe what you are talking about will work fine. My question is if you are going to sell off all of the blue offspring why bother to even hatch them? The only time you are going to get the blue chicks is with the splash hens. If you don't hatch any of those eggs all the rest will be split/lav.
In the first "pen" the blue chicks will be BBS and will not carry the lav gene at all so you would be able to use them in your BBS pens. Just don't put any splash hens in with the Lav roo and you shouldn't have any problems.

I wanted to add that self blue and lavender are the same gene, the name varies by breed. What I want to know is, dose the lav/sb gene bleed through in BBS. I'm interested in breeding to my person preferance not wanting to mix up a bunch of genes, mislable them and sell them off. If and when I breed these and if and when I sell them they will be labeled "BBS split to Lav./SB" I personally want splash showgirls with Lav./sb bleeding. Blues just look like a diluted black to me.

The gene is named lavender, and abbreviated lav. Self-blue is the name of the variety. In my experience, birds who are both blue (or splash) and lavender look more like blue (or splash) than like lavender.

Back
Top Bottom