Color genetics questions

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I'm working on breeding for a blue (and black and silver by default) laying duck. The genotype would be like a blue runner but without the runner body type.

I have a Welsh Harlequin duck with excellent egg production who I would like to use. Would the black gene completely cover the harlequin gene if it were to pop up later on? Or would there be some kind of interaction between them?

Also, are there any clues to tell if a duck has double extended black or single? I know some breeds have double black, but I don't know how they get that with certainty so that they don't end up with some ducks who don't have it.

Yes, I believe black would cover up the harlequin. I do not know if their is a way to tell homozygous black from heterozygous. I would think you could ask hatcherys if their birds are true breeding which would be homozygous. But, that wouldn’t help if you are talking about your future ducklings.

Yes, I believe black would cover up the harlequin. I do not know if their is a way to tell homozygous black from heterozygous. I would think you could ask hatcherys if their birds are true breeding which would be homozygous. But, that wouldn’t help if you are talking about your future ducklings.
Thank you! I am asking because wanting to breed future ducklings with double black, but asking hatcheries might still be a good idea since they work with many different breeds and sometimes develop their own. Someone like Metzer or Holderread might know.

Back
Top Bottom