Color help on Silkie chick

Calichicks23

Chirping
Mar 7, 2023
I’m just starting to bred my Silkies and Showgirls. I’m gathering and learning as much as I can. There is so much information out there.
This is one of the chicks and I’m stumped on it’s color.
In the breeding pen is 3 hens
White Silkie showgirl
Black satin Showgirl
Buff (poss lav split ) Silkie
All covered by a Satin Paint roo
Any help or insights appreciated
I tried to capture it in the sunshine to help. The last picture is what it looked like at a few days old
B7970E13-F027-48EB-A728-DC1651A1A2B4.jpeg
13980489-8E8F-4EDE-AAC7-CABD03180F46.jpeg
90442988-5449-4BF5-8994-823B5F104D08.jpeg
2413D52D-AC52-4985-AAD2-EBEA53BA95E9.jpeg

The genetics of paint, to my understanding, is that a black chicken has one dominant white gene. And I believe that gene is only passed on half of the time. In this case, the gene passed on is black. You have what appears to be a blue chick, so I suspect the mother is the white, but could be the buff as well if it has underlying colors. I'm a little shaky on all of this, but at least it's a beginning to answering your questions. I'll tag a few people who can probably help.

@LadiesAndJane @nicalandia @The Moonshiner

The genetics of paint, to my understanding, is that a black chicken has one dominant white gene. And I believe that gene is only passed on half of the time. In this case, the gene passed on is black. You have what appears to be a blue chick, so I suspect the mother is the white, but could be the buff as well if it has underlying colors. I'm a little shaky on all of this, but at least it's a beginning to answering your questions. I'll tag a few people who can probably help.

@LadiesAndJane @nicalandia @The Moonshiner
Thank you 🙏
I wasn’t sure if it would be considered blue or not. I was able to find a breeding chart for splash (BBS) but not paint breeding. Curious if the out comes are similar.

Back
Top Bottom