Color me confused

FNF

Chirping
Jul 2, 2023
Hello, I have 8 laying hens: four redstars and two blackstars that lay brown eggs, and two Americanas that lay blue eggs. Typically we get our expected number of eggs per day given their 25-26 hour-ish laying cycle and whatnot. Weirdly, yesterday when I went into the coop to clean there were not one but two membranes and yolks splattered on a roosting rod and the floor. I think we got five brown and I think two blues yesterday (intact). Today I found another membrane/yolk in the coop and I went in there early, before the auto-door had even opened. Randomly I then found a brown egg in what we call our "chicken annex" which is just a little yard they have access to, it must have been laid within minutes of the door opening and them going outside while I was still inside. Okay, fine, it was also intact. I go on to collect a few eggs thinking we'd probably be one shy. Well I was wrong: eight eggs collected and all fine with the exception (egg-ception in this case) of a slightly wrinkly shell (but otherwise normal). Their diets haven't changed; it was hot for a while but the temperature is nice again; they have laying feed and oyster shell free choice. Confused as to how there was a membrane/yolk in the coop this morning and still got all eight eggs? Were there just two released close together but instead of being so close that we would get a double yolk, it was technically two separate eggs? Appreciate insight from veterans out there - I've only had chickens since April!

A hen can produce two eggs in a 24 hour period if one doesn't have a shell. The process of applying the shell takes roughly 24 hours, and making the inside contents of the egg takes about an hour or two. So a hen can produce a normal egg and a shell-less egg all in one day.

Most times when two ovum are released they become a double yolk egg if the ovum are released close together. If not they get processed as two separate eggs.

Back
Top Bottom