Compost pile and Chicken feeder

I read that mould can poison chickens, but part of the composting process involves moulds breaking the food down. Just curious about this. If I toss in kitchen scraps into their run and they go mouldy the chickens tend to leave those bits but will gobble up feed that gets caught under their feeder and has gone mouldy when I move it.

It's not mold that breaks down compost. It's beneficial bacteria. If there's mold It's because the compost isn't being stirred often enough. That being said, chickens are generally pretty good at steering clear of anything too terribly toxic so long as they have plenty of other food sources to choose from. Not to say that they'll never eat anything that they shouldn't so it's best to keep anything that might be potentially harmful out of the compost or at least put it in a pile they don't have access to.

It's not mold that breaks down compost. It's beneficial bacteria. If there's mold It's because the compost isn't being stirred often enough. That being said, chickens are generally pretty good at steering clear of anything too terribly toxic so long as they have plenty of other food sources to choose from. Not to say that they'll never eat anything that they shouldn't so it's best to keep anything that might be potentially harmful out of the compost or at least put it in a pile they don't have access to.

It is fungi (mould) and bacteria https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-does-food-decompose/

I see mouldy bits on the apples that fall off the trees in their run as they rot down. I'm not overly worried, just curious as to whether it really is poisonous for chickens. They tend to avoid the really rotting fruit, preferring the fresh windfalls. I don't deseed them either!

It is fungi (mould) and bacteria https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-does-food-decompose/

I see mouldy bits on the apples that fall off the trees in their run as they rot down. I'm not overly worried, just curious as to whether it really is poisonous for chickens. They tend to avoid the really rotting fruit, preferring the fresh windfalls. I don't deseed them either!
Apple seeds are poisonous to most animals... that’s why deer steer clear of the core.

Chickens are smart, if they shouldn’t eat it they usually stay away from it

Back
Top Bottom