Compost question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So... say I have a big huge compost heap... say maybe 5 feet tall, doesn't really matter how wide but you know a pile size. Now say I was letting the compost convert itself to compost from manure... eventually all of it becomes good soil from the composting process. But what I'm not sure about is ... how fast its going to go at different parts within the pile. LIke traditionally they say 3 or 4 months is good enough for most of it to convert...

But say I took a 1 foot measurement mark probe into the pile, meaning 1 foot deep... then I took another probe sample at 2 feet deep into the pile, and another at 3 feet deep into near the center and so on... I'm not sure that each of those probe ranges would be progressing at the same speed? In fact, I'm pretty sure they would go at different speeds. And I'm not sure what the ideal depth is for ideal conversion speed? And in theory you'd want to know that because if it were to get slower with more depth then you'd want to be able to break it up into more than 1 pile at that point...

So I hoped other people might have more information on this, and could say something about it?

In theory, you can just give it extra time. You are going to be waiting all winter anyway, and so you can lose some time like 6 or 8 months and be fine since you technically only need to put out the compost soil in the spring... But it would be more useful to know this to have a better idea to be more efficient.

Thank you very much! And yes, I do hope this helps others also.

So... say I have a big huge compost heap... say maybe 5 feet tall, doesn't really matter how wide but you know a pile size. Now say I was letting the compost convert itself to compost from manure... eventually all of it becomes good soil from the composting process. But what I'm not sure about is ... how fast its going to go at different parts within the pile. LIke traditionally they say 3 or 4 months is good enough for most of it to convert...

But say I took a 1 foot measurement mark probe into the pile, meaning 1 foot deep... then I took another probe sample at 2 feet deep into the pile, and another at 3 feet deep into near the center and so on... I'm not sure that each of those probe ranges would be progressing at the same speed? In fact, I'm pretty sure they would go at different speeds. And I'm not sure what the ideal depth is for ideal conversion speed? And in theory you'd want to know that because if it were to get slower with more depth then you'd want to be able to break it up into more than 1 pile at that point...

So I hoped other people might have more information on this, and could say something about it?

In theory, you can just give it extra time. You are going to be waiting all winter anyway, and so you can lose some time like 6 or 8 months and be fine since you technically only need to put out the compost soil in the spring... But it would be more useful to know this to have a better idea to be more efficient.

Thank you very much! And yes, I do hope this helps others also.
I think youre probably right
It depends on the mix and the mixing
People say to stir or turn it
also to water it
I do neither
I have about 6 giant heaps now
I use the black gold from the oldest pile
toss new stuff on the newest pile

I think youre probably right
It depends on the mix and the mixing
People say to stir or turn it
also to water it
I do neither
I have about 6 giant heaps now
I use the black gold from the oldest pile
toss new stuff on the newest pile
Thanks for the reply. I don't know too many that water their compost either.

And I'm glad other people are doing stuff like this also.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know too many that water their compost either.

And I'm glad other people are doing stuff like this also.
sure thing. Yes so this year I’m actually trying something radical. I made 1/7 of my garden into my new compost heap, planning on doing that every year now, and rotating around the garden. one year adding to it and the next year letting it sit,, then the third year planting right in it so I don’t have to dig it up and move it anywhere. It’ll be right where it is.

Think of how nature does it in a forest. Leaves/twigs/other organic matter accumulate on the surface. It sits there for .... ever. On top is the latest layer, underneath is the rich soil. In between is the stuff in transition.

If you want/need compost in a a hurry, ie, a month or so, try this method:
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2010/05/08/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/

If you have the space to let your piles sit, build a pile. Next year, build another pile. Next year, another. By the time 3 years have gone by, the first one is probably pretty much "done."

And, yes, people water their compost piles. If the pile is dry, it will take MUCH longer to decompose. All the living organisms that turn leaves, etc., into compost need water to do their thing. The turning talked about in the above link add oxygen back into the pile, another necessary component for the breakdown of organic matter.

sure thing. Yes so this year I’m actually trying something radical. I made 1/7 of my garden into my new compost heap, planning on doing that every year now, and rotating around the garden. one year adding to it and the next year letting it sit,, then the third year planting right in it so I don’t have to dig it up and move it anywhere. It’ll be right where it is.
Thats a good idea. Its not good to be unable to make your own things now with so much bad happening.

Think of how nature does it in a forest. Leaves/twigs/other organic matter accumulate on the surface. It sits there for .... ever. On top is the latest layer, underneath is the rich soil. In between is the stuff in transition.

If you want/need compost in a a hurry, ie, a month or so, try this method:
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2010/05/08/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/

If you have the space to let your piles sit, build a pile. Next year, build another pile. Next year, another. By the time 3 years have gone by, the first one is probably pretty much "done."

And, yes, people water their compost piles. If the pile is dry, it will take MUCH longer to decompose. All the living organisms that turn leaves, etc., into compost need water to do their thing. The turning talked about in the above link add oxygen back into the pile, another necessary component for the breakdown of organic matter.
If I lived in a dry climate i think I would water my heaps but where I live is hardly ever dry, theres even a couple of small creeks coming downhill and through my yard that makes a big area in the back muddy almost all the time.

Back
Top Bottom