Compost

Kurakurakulaku

Chirping
Jul 14, 2021
Hi. I am planning to compost my chickens poop but I am totally new with it. Thus, I definitely need some insight and suggestions. I live in urban area with very small garden area. I don’t have much area in the garden to pile the compost, nor in the run. Currently, the run size is about 85” x 48”. I only have 2 chickens though. I am still unsure if investing in the tumbling composter bin would be worth it. Will anyone share their thoughts and experience? In your opinion, what would be the best ways to compost from 2 chicken manure?
Additionally, I just want to know what to expect. Will the composting cause any bad & disturbing smell and will it cause any pests issue? Thank you!

Hi. I am planning to compost my chickens poop but I am totally new with it. Thus, I definitely need some insight and suggestions. I live in urban area with very small garden area. I don’t have much area in the garden to pile the compost, nor in the run. Currently, the run size is about 85” x 48”. I only have 2 chickens though. I am still unsure if investing in the tumbling composter bin would be worth it. Will anyone share their thoughts and experience? In your opinion, what would be the best ways to compost from 2 chicken manure?
Additionally, I just want to know what to expect. Will the composting cause any bad & disturbing smell and will it cause any pests issue? Thank you!
I compost what I scoop off the boards with grass clippings, garden clippings, dry leaves, etc. I do it in a compost pile contained (mostly) with pallets. I have two bays, one I actively add green manure to, the other is just cooking. I do not turn the cooker like I should and it would compost much better and faster if I did. I just empty it into my raised vegetable garden beds in April each year and turn it into the soil then plant mid-May and have never had a problem.
The only time the compost area smells (BADLY!) is when I first dump the buckets. But that could be controlled better if I covered it with grass clippings and turned the pile each time I made an addition. I don't. I have no one to offend with the odor other than myself. And I have 23 birds.

I compost what I scoop off the boards with grass clippings, garden clippings, dry leaves, etc. I do it in a compost pile contained (mostly) with pallets. I have two bays, one I actively add green manure to, the other is just cooking. I do not turn the cooker like I should and it would compost much better and faster if I did. I just empty it into my raised vegetable garden beds in April each year and turn it into the soil then plant mid-May and have never had a problem.
The only time the compost area smells (BADLY!) is when I first dump the buckets. But that could be controlled better if I covered it with grass clippings and turned the pile each time I made an addition. I don't. I have no one to offend with the odor other than myself. And I have 23 birds.
Thank you! I am so afraid with complaints from my neighbors if composting does turn out smell very disturbing. We don’t have much distance from each other. I wonder if the closed turning tumbler would help with the odor. Does anyone with turning composting bin could share?

Thank you! I am so afraid with complaints from my neighbors if composting does turn out smell very disturbing. We don’t have much distance from each other. I wonder if the closed turning tumbler would help with the odor. Does anyone with turning composting bin could share?
If you tumble it, it's well aerated and you keep it damp you should not have odor. Especially if you feed it small amounts of nitrogen rich and carbon rich components regularly.

I also have a compost bin made of pallets. It has two sections. Mine doesn’t smell but it helps to have ventilation.
Which way you decide to go, keep in mind that chicken poo should sit for a year before using it otherwise it can kill your plants. It may help to purchase two tumblers so while one sits you can add to the other so that you are always rotating your usage, this is why I have two sections on my compost pallet area.

I have three 55 gallon tumblers, home made. Mine never really smell, just when you first put the poop in. I add shredded leaves, kitchen scraps (that the chickens don't eat) and the poop off the poop board. I turn it every so often. I do get black soldier fly larva in mine, but only the one I'm filling.

If you go with the tumblers, I would get at least 2. That way 1 can be composting while you are filling the other.

Back
Top Bottom