Confused about heat lamp placement

So, under my red heat lamp it is about 95 degrees, so I should raise it up so that is about 90 degrees. But outwards from there it is in the 80's - so this setup is perfect for my chicks.
smile.png
I am happy that they will be little happy babies!
smile.png

Thank you again to the OP for the question again! I apprecaite this thread as I learned some!

Just be advised that with each passing week, they'll want less and less heat. They won't like much warmer than 80-82 when they are feathering out at 4 weeks and by week 5, most folks eliminate the heat altogether, especially this time of year, in preparation for taking them to the coop or grow out pen. Lowering the wattage of the bulb is easier than constantly having to raise the lamp. Enjoy your experience.

I use the lamp in one corner, about a foot off the floor of the brooder,
The chicks are smart enough to know if they're to hot or not and move
away from it and find a comfortable temp they like.

People worry to much.
tongue.png

I did something different this time after losing my last set of chicks. I did not think it was the temp (they never seemed healthy from the day I got them), but wanted to remove it as a possibility this time.

I got a $20 router speed control from harbor freight and plugged my lamp into that. The control plugs into the wall and the lamp plugs into the control. This allows you to send more or less juice to the lamp by turning a knob. It’s amazing how easy regulating the temperature was this time!

This is the router speed control I used http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

Back
Top Bottom