Consistency and frequency for new egg layers?

Sarahmae01

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I am new to chickens. My flock is all just about 5 months old. I have 3 Easter Eggers, 3 Orpingtons (1 Buff, 2 Lavender), and one Black Australorp (she’s a week younger than the others). Of course, when we were away on vacation last week, some of them started laying! I came home (Wed) to four eggs in the nesting boxes (photo attached). One brown, one green, and two that matched each other and looked somewhere between pink and light brown - would you consider those as pink or brown?

It’s been four days since we’ve been home. Our Buff Orpington was in the nesting box Thurs and Fri and I saw her lay brown eggs both those days (one was huge and a double yolk!). We had NO eggs on Saturday. Today (Sun) we just got one pinkish brown egg (second pic attached). I have no idea who is laying the pinkish brown eggs. Could those be from the Buff Orpington too? Can they vary that much in color? If it’s not the BO’s is it normal that both layers would have skipped 2 or 3 days in a row?

Also, I have not seen another green egg at all. I saw one of our EE in the nesting box a couple days ago but nothing was left behind. Is it normal for there to be a 4+ day gap between the first and the second egg? I’ve looked in the run and coop and haven’t seen any signs of eggs laid elsewhere or eaten. They free range mainly just in the late afternoon when I’m watching them. I also have cameras in the run and coop but I think I need to reposition one of them to see the nesting box better because I don’t seem to be catching that action! We have fake eggs in the nests and I think that’s helped. The girls all seem healthy and happy. Is this normal for new layers to lay so sporadically?

Attachments

• C55D5323-7981-414D-87B6-B61FE0951B70.jpeg
    C55D5323-7981-414D-87B6-B61FE0951B70.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 0D695A69-A5F0-4E56-BA37-149B7B8DB236.jpeg
    0D695A69-A5F0-4E56-BA37-149B7B8DB236.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 22
Thank you for asking this.
I have 10 barred rock and its nearly impossible to tell them apart without the zip ties. Still, no cameras for nesting box area and the last 3 days they laid: 4 eggs, 4 eggs, and yesterday was 6. Most of them must be taking turns at this point but I had no idea how frequently they COULD lay at this age.
They are all 20 weeks but our first egg was 3 weeks ago when one was only 17 weeks.
Anyways, thanks again for posting. I had trouble finding a thread that covers POL frequency.

Back
Top Bottom