Consistent poor/late hatches.

PuurveenM

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
Hello everyone.
I have been running into some hatching scenarios that I haven't dealt with before.
Our last 5 hatches have been consistently late ( day 22/23) and have been poor %. 45-60.
I am used to getting 85-90% hatch at day 20-21.
We are using two Brisnea ovation incubators. One is 56 adv and one a 28 adv. We love them and they have worked very well since we bought them. I have calibrated the temp and humidity. Running temp at 37.4 and humidity at 55% and 65% at lock down. I do not disturb the eggs from day 1 until the night of day 17.
The only thing different, that I can think of is, we used to collect eggs and bring them into the house right away. They would sit in the incubator until it was full. then get turned on.
Lately we have been collecting eggs, letting them sit in the egg turner in the barn (which is about 10 degrees Celsius) and then bringing them into the house and putting them in the bator.
Could our late hatches/poor hatches be from the eggs needing to be warmed up first, if they are delayed we would be taking them out of turners and going into lock down a day or 2 to early?.
I candle them before lock down and they are all moving, they just don't hatch.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm thinking that 55% is a little high. I keep mine at 38-48% before lockdown and 62-68% during lockdown. Or, maybe for 55% before lockdown, you'd have to raise your humidity during lockdown a bit, but I think it'd be a little high.

I'm thinking that 55% is a little high. I keep mine at 38-48% before lockdown and 62-68% during lockdown. Or, maybe for 55% before lockdown, you'd have to raise your humidity during lockdown a bit, but I think it'd be a little high.
Hey.,
I have been running at those setting for a long time and have had really good results.

I’ve always heard that warming the eggs too fast can shock the embryos, since the first few days are the most fragile. I’m not sure how, but it sounds like that change in early process might be what is causing the problem. I let my eggs get to room temperature before putting in. Always checked to see that they were turned 2 times per day but at least once while waiting and between 55-75 degrees for a couple of days. I had really good success with that. 100% success with my ducklings. I put in 12 and the 2 that didn’t progress were because they weren’t fertile. Maybe you’ve found the problem. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom