Constant Clucking

taylacline

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Southern West Virginia
We have 6 hens all about 6 months old. Only 2 have started laying eggs, one started around 4 months and the other this week. Since the new hen has started laying the more mature hen will go in and the coop and act like shes going to lay but then she'll cluck and bock for a good 30 mins just standing there before even trying to lay. Its like shes upset that someone else has been in the nesting boxes. I had 2 boxes and when she started doing this I got a heavy bucket and made a makeshift one just to give her another option. The first time it happened I had to go "reset" the nesting boxes before she would go in. What is happening? How can I fix it? When all six start laying I can't fix the nest after every bird.
Oh we also have a fake egg and the mature hen will "follow" which ever nest that egg is in she'll lay in. But its clear which nest the new layer is using and its not the one with the fake egg. So even with the fake egg in the "unused" nest, the mature hen will still go crazy if the other nest looks like its been used.

Back
Top Bottom