Constructing a pond on grade

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I ran out of projects that I can finish for now so I started digging out a little (kind of big) garden pond. The rough dimensions are going to be somewhere around 25'x15' and probably 3 foot deep. There's a bit of a grade in my property so the ground level on one corner of the pond is going to be a bit lower than the rest, I haven't measured it yet but I'm guessing somewhere between 6-8" lower.

Would I be asking for trouble down the line if I use the dirt/clay that I'm digging out to build up a levee along that one side/corner seeing as how im doing this by hand and won't have any heavy machinery to pack it down? It would definitely look more professional if I levelled out the grade but if I'm gonna need to put in a cinderblock retaining wall for a 6" difference it doesn't seem worth the cost.

Clay is a really good retainer for water. Having a nice layer of it covered with gravel throughout would make a great pond base. For retaining 6’ wall at one end using clay I would give it a go personally. Just make sure it’s plenty wide. Would really be nice if you could get some boulders in that retaining wall.

Back
Top Bottom