Continually broody hen

Emsy85

Hatching
Aug 26, 2022
We have had our chickens for 18 months now and in that time our white Sussex has been broody approximately 12 times. She seems in a constant cycle, where by she’ll be broody for a month, snap out of it and just about start laying again and then go broody again, usually after only 2-3 weeks. It spaced out a little more through the winter but she was still doing it.
We’ve broken her in a wire cage a handful of times, but other methods don’t work.

I understand this happens and I’m not against her doing it, but this frequently just doesn’t seem good for her. She’s not getting much of a life and she’s not that healthy because she spends long periods of time not looking after herself.
Just wondered if anyone has had similar and has any ideas?

While I have no helpful hints for you I do share your pain to some extent. I just had a hen take two weeks in a wire cage to break!! Every time I let her out she would bee-line it to the nest boxes🙄. At least my girl would eat and drink normally while in jail so her condition is still decent.

We have had our chickens for 18 months now and in that time our white Sussex has been broody approximately 12 times. She seems in a constant cycle, where by she’ll be broody for a month, snap out of it and just about start laying again and then go broody again, usually after only 2-3 weeks. It spaced out a little more through the winter but she was still doing it.
We’ve broken her in a wire cage a handful of times, but other methods don’t work.

I understand this happens and I’m not against her doing it, but this frequently just doesn’t seem good for her. She’s not getting much of a life and she’s not that healthy because she spends long periods of time not looking after herself.
Just wondered if anyone has had similar and has any ideas?
Yep, BTDT.
Had a serial broody that I broke 7 times one summer, that was after I let her hatch in March.
Finally gave her to someone who wanted a broody, she never went broody again.

Yep, BTDT.
Had a serial broody that I broke 7 times one summer, that was after I let her hatch in March.
Finally gave her to someone who wanted a broody, she never went broody again.
Maybe she wasn't broody Maybe she just didn't like the roosters and was hiding from them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom