Cool treatment for my ailing duck

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
One of my runner ducks, Fran, got a teeny, tiny cut on her left foot a few weeks ago. When she began limping, I thought she had just pulled a leg muscle because eight of them sleep together and get a bit rowdy sometimes. I didn't see any injury but took her to the vet two days later with a swollen knee.

Long story short, Fran made her third trip to the vet yesterday and received laser treatment on her still-swollen knee joint. I have never had an animal treated with lasers, only seen it on TV. I didn't hesitate to agree because I believed it might help Fran and because I wanted to watch the treatment. She seemed to feel better almost immediately. In fact, as the tech was returning her to the carrier, Fran escaped and raced across the counter with great vigor.

I am hoping Fran will still seem better this morning. Once I had paid for the first vet visit, then the second, it seemed silly not to keep going. But I sure hope this works! Or, I might have to explain to the rest of the flocks why there's no treats or extra feed while I try to rebalance the budget 🤔. Just kidding, of course. I would eat nothing but macaroni before I would skimp on my critters.

Laser treatment was cool, but it was not enough to save Fran. When I let out the ducks this morning, only seven came running. I was hoping Franny would be in the back of the shelter, avoiding the rush. She was very near the door, dead.

Although she is gone, I know I tried everything to keep her alive and made sure she got her own feed and water every day. She still preened herself, and yesterday, when the rest of the flock ran off, she was lying on top of some hay in the sun and looking very content. She ate vigorously last night, with the rest of the ducks.

I don't feel the same guilt that I do over Lottie, my Welsummer hen. I was apparently so concerned with Fran that I didn't notice -- until it was too late -- that Lottie wasn't feeling well. She died Thursday without ever seeing a vet.

I am at one of those points where I think about rehoming everybody so I don't have to keep going through the losses. I know we are likely to outlive all of our critters -- and should to make sure they are all cared for -- but there have just been so many losses in the last six months.

Back
Top Bottom