Coop Floor help

I have plywood, id like to cover, prior to laying bedding.

We initially were going to use Blackjack 57, but it's very hard to find in the sticks Mn & it isn't cheap.

I've look through the forum and I see the majority of people use vinyl.

I've always been under the assumption vinyl isn't good in a coop as when it mixes with urine, it can release fumes and also can cause mold and so forth.

True/false?

Also, what I'm really curious about is for those people that have used floor paint how has that held up?

Thank you
Al
We also use porch paint. Use a high quality with a good primer. That's where you gotta be careful. Many primers are not made for floors. Make sure you get one that is. Lasts several years with an occasional
cleaning. Also keep bedding clean and deep.

We also use porch paint. Use a high quality with a good primer. That's where you gotta be careful. Many primers are not made for floors. Make sure you get one that is. Lasts several years with an occasional
cleaning. Also keep bedding clean and deep.
Thank you for the response and the reminder about the primer. I honestly didn't even think about it.

I am going on 10 years with painted floor. It has held up very well.
I did a second coating roughly 6 years ago when the coop was empty.

I use porch and floor paint from home Depot.

I tried linoleum and bugs liked it to much for me.
Me too. Thanks. I used deck paint too. I use deep bedding too. But I am careful about refreshing the pine chips so it isn’t too bad. I do a major clean w a plastic scraper 2x a year and in the area that wears the most, I use a section of the padding for tool drawers and put the chips over it. But you could use the mats for doorways and foot traffic.

We bought a remnant of sheet vinyl for $12. (It's even a stone motif---nice looking considering some of the goofy 70's and 80's Mannington stuff they used to have). It's been FANTASTIC. Laid it over the coop ply floor with construction adhesive in a caulking gun. Never have had any issues. Cleans up beautifully. Flooring stores will usually have remnants of varying sizes. Whatever you put over it---sand, straw, etc., when you go to clean it and change the stuff, it's SO easy and always looks great!

Back
Top Bottom