Coop for ONE

Amber83801

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
Ok strange question. If anyone has been following me. I have ONE chick. She is a sapphire gem named maisie. She is my traveling companion. I go into town at least once a week for shots and she is to keep me company. During the times she is home I have to figure out how I will house her. I have a large bird cage I was going to turn into her ROOM. Question 1: Inside or outside? Question 2: will it be big enough? The cage can go either way and I can modify for her perching area and a laying area. Thanks in advance for ideas.

Hum, I say indoor rabbit hutch or a large rabbit cage. Try to keep inside of your house or on your porch. Not an expert but I have some birds that live alone.

I found an ideal A frame coop I will TRY to make out from part of an old coop I use to have.

coopforone (2).jpg

For a single bird, I would keep her indoors. Outside, she will get very lonely very quickly. Most birds need constant companionship. I have 2, one of which is broody and stays in the nestbox. My remaining one has taken to knocking on the door, exploring beyond my yard, and snuggling more with me when I have time to go out. I imagine the need for stimulation, if not a friend, would be even more pronounced in an only chicken.

she is learning free range and to follow me, we like to enjoy the bench swing together. She comes in at night and rainy weather because she is spoiled. I wasn't able to do the A frame but we were able to salvage an existing beat up coop and make it her size. I am use to keeping an entire flock from my younger years, this is the first time with a lone chicken.

Back
Top Bottom