Coop gone crazy!

They were still locked in their run so no predator could have gotten at them. I looked around but could not find anything she could have hurt herself on. When they all started fighting, I knew one of her flock mates had gotten her. She was not in the least bit afraid and was acting just fine.
Mine were locked up also. The predator was outside looking in. I hope all gets back to normal for you.

Thankfully the hard molting lady is 2nd in command and has the best roosting spot so I know she is warm at night at least. I put hen healer blue stuff on my injured lady. I will keep a close eye and ear on her. Im 100% sure it was not a hawk as I had not let them out for the day yet.
Predators don't have to get in the run to kill them.Fear can cause them to panic and injure themselves fatally.

They were fall chicks so their molting time is a little off.
Age doesn't matter, it's the length of days that trigger molting, tho they can molt at any time of the year.

My coop is 6 x 6 with 11 feet of roost. My run is 8 x16 plus the area under the 6x6 coop. Lots and lots of roost areas. They have a 50 x100 chicken yard they get to free range 3-4 hrs a day.
Only the 3 birds??

No, sorry. 9 birds. Only 3 getting crazy at the moment.
I watched them this morning and I think the molting girl made the bleeding girl bleed. She was stalking her again. Martha the molter is a barred rock. Usually sweet and everybody's friend. Betty the bleeding is a white leghorn and can be very pushy. It's not her first hen on hen injury. I think she pushed the wrong one at the wrong time. This was them yesterday.

Attachments

• 20220226_133144.jpg
    20220226_133144.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220226_133215.jpg
    20220226_133215.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom