coop logistics - "A" frame style

chicchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Eastern Massachusetts
http://handcraftedcoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/chickencoopnewfrontpage.png

Santa
brought me this coop. It holds 3 - 4 hens. Does anyone else have this coop already? I have a few questions. How does this coop work through a New England winter? Do the hens have to get out? The roosting box looks very small. How will I keep it warm enough on really cold nights? Is there enough room for food and water in the roosting area? Or do they have to go down to the pen to eat and drink? I can run electricity to it if I have to.

If anyone has experience with this coop, please fill me in! Thanks.

Happy 2010!

Last edited:
How tall is the coop? I think you will want to shield the run underneath with vinyl sheeting in winter to stop snow from drifting in. It's a lovely design. Be sure the base is predator-proofed and that you anchor it firmly, possibly with ground stakes. Your climate is imilar to ours and with a few modifications you should do well. It always helps to choose a southern exposure in our climate, too and a sheltered spot close to the house so you can get out easily when the snow is high.
cool.png

(I would be very tempted to build a roofed structure and put this coop under, so that when you have to lift the hatch for servicing, you are protected and there is less snow to shovel...)

Last edited:
Santa was VERY nice to you- you must have been so good to get this!
big_smile.png
I have been eyeing this for a while.

Please keep us posted on building, maintainence and how you and your birds like this coop.

I don't have any experience with that particular coop, but I can answer some of your questions in general. You won't need large feeders or waterers for just 3-4 hens. Which is good, since they will have to be out of the weather. Food should not get wet, and you will need some kind of waterer heater in winter, which is best kept inside. The chickens don't need heat. Keeping the water from freezing is the only big problem in winter.

I have one of those birdbath heaters. Will that work ? Or is there a specific one for chickens?

p.s. I was a good girl.... lol! Santa knew I wanted a coop for a long time...

You know, you could put that coop on a platform to make servicing easier on your back and to keep snow away, OR place it under a lean-to or inside an out building in winter...lots of ways to play with the idea...but you don't want it buried in snow...
cool.png
If your bird bath heater is 60-75 watts it is probably safe to use...

Last edited:
I don't see why a bird bath heater wouldn't work. Although, many chicken waterers don't have openings that something could float in. But if you could fit it in the trough part, it would work. They sell bases you put your waterer on that heat.

I would have only one problem with putting plastic over the wire on the bottom and would be that the girls may peck at it and ingest the plastic. I would do as suggested and place it under a leen-to type stucture or add nailing blocks to the four corners on each side of the run so that the plastic isn't flush against the wire.

This is the cutest little coop! I've been looking for a plan for some bantams and this would be lovely! I'd need to make it bigger to house 8 birds but thats easily done with a carpenter husband!

Back
Top Bottom