Coop Modifications on Current Coop

Smearedred

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
I have already built this coop...... I am in Mississippi where is just a hot mess here and have 6 chickens.

1648657855611.png

I would like to make the coop part a little bigger and am looking for suggestions maybe making it into a chicken tractor. It is extremely heavy, so I know there might have to be modifications for weight (swapping out the 2x6 for 2x4). This coop uses 3/4" plywood, is it possible to swap it out for 1/2" plywood? Also has anyone converted this coop into a chicken tractor?

I am going to try and make my own sketchup but I am very bad at it, has anyone seen a sketchup for the basic design of this coop?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Thank you so much,

Tiffany

Last edited:
I really don't think it would be worth it to dismantle it and rebuild with 2x4 or 1/2 plywood. If you're going to purchase the material to rebuild, just build something lighter instead.

Have you already built this coop, are you getting ready to?

Here is a tractor that I thought looks good:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/check-out-my-chicken-tractor.1456418/post-24496139

Your location, number of chickens, etc will help people give better advice.

This looks like the Anna White coop:
https://www.ana-white.com/woodworki...n-coop-planter-clean-out-tray-and-nesting-box

lots of pictures there. Ventilation looks like it could be lacking.

I have already built this coop...... I am in Mississippi where is just a hot mess here and have 6 chickens.

It is the Anna White coop, and you are correct ventilation is not the greatest.

I really don't think it would be worth it to dismantle it and rebuild with 2x4 or 1/2 plywood. If you're going to purchase the material to rebuild, just build something lighter instead.
This thought has crossed my mind several times actually, I just talked myself out of it...... Thinking I could just repurpose what I already had into a tractor.

My biggest issues are space, and water in the bottom of the coop.

It is the Anna White coop, and you are correct ventilation is not the greatest.
well, this would still be a bit tight for 6 chickens .... but if you can cut and build better than I draw ....

Could you frame out the planter size and add a roof over it. Then, cut out between the two. If you close up the inside ramp and move it to the part in-line with the nesting box, then you'd gain another square foot in interior section and open up a good deal of ventilation.

You'd probably have to turn your roost the other direction. I tried to show it a shade lower than it was, sort of drop-mounted on the 2/4's that are there.

If you're looking for the tractor approach, then you'd want wheels to balance your center of gravity, as @FeatheredRaptor did
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/check-out-my-chicken-tractor.1456418/post-2449613

That's going to be really heavy ... you may want it on some wheels that would allow it to be pulled by a tractor or something.

step10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom