Coop Mounted on Trailer

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
I am beginning to build my very first chicken coop, and took a leaf out of an ice fisherman's book. I know plenty of people don't just transport their ice shacks on a trailer, but mount it completely on the trailer. Why not do that with a chicken coop? The finished coop will be 6ft wide by 10ft long, on the trailer which is large enough to accommodate that.

My trailer is being built from scratch, with the components being mostly recycled. The only new part of it thus far is just the axle and spindles. I spent today measuring and cutting up old steel pallet racking, which became the frame of the trailer. A lot of welding later, and a gorgeous trailer emerged from the metal dust. Not only is it incredibly solid, it was perfectly balanced too. It isn't totally finished yet, still need to weld on the tongue, wire the lights, and then protect the newly exposed metal to prevent any rust from setting in. It will be street legal, I definitely don't feel like getting pulled over and dealing with that problem!

The coop will be a relatively easy build after the metalworking! At least I think so, wood is more forgiving. The floor has already been built, and will be bolted to the trailer once we are done with it. I was fortunate to be offered an entire shed roof that is in great condition. A friend replaced his shed, and for some reason decided to save the roof even though the rest of it was deconstructed. He offered it to me, and it will work perfectly with the shed dimensions. A few shingles need replaced, but it is durably built and leak free. Essentially, once most of the woodworking begins, really the walls are the biggest job, and with my friends helping out, we can bust that out in one afternoon!

I am going to bring my camera to the shop tomorrow to take pictures. It will start looking like a coop soon, hopefully. Right now it looks like a floor leaned up against a wall, a disembodied roof, a trailer, and a lot of 2x4s, plywood, and insulation.

The shop was kind of dim, so the pictures aren't all that great, either.

The trailer
KittehsandCoop005.jpg

KittehsandCoop009.jpg

One of the sides before it was added. Only the exterior is done, but painting is easier while it isn't mounted! My father wanted the color red, so red it became!
KittehsandCoop007.jpg

Finally mounted! The roof will come next, along with insulation, interior sheathing, and painting! The interior will be white to make it bright inside.
KittehsandCoop013.jpg

KittehsandCoop012.jpg

KittehsandCoop011.jpg

View inside one of the windows/vents.
KittehsandCoop014.jpg

we did something similar a few years back only it was an old bin wagon all we had to do was put in a floor and roof, we had windows around from a house remodel so we used them also.....this is used for meaties, so when the weather is gonna be bad we just unhook the run and move the whole thing into the equipment shed, of course these birds could careless if they get to go outside or not. hope yours works out as well as ours does.

Back
Top Bottom