Coop opinion

kempn

Hatching
11 Years
May 6, 2008
Hello all,

I'm new to these forums but have found a wealth of valuable information so far. I'd like some feedback on a particular coop design, specifically i'd like to know if you think the size of the coop and nesting box is sufficient for my situation.

Here's some information about what i need.

We have 4 pulltes, which are about 2 weeks old now they are an Orpington, Wyandotte, Sex Link, and Plymouth Rock. They are all standard size.

These are city chickens. By that i mean that i have a smallish yard in a residential neighborhood. The yard is fenced but we have raised vegetable beds that i haven't fenced in yet. I live in the Portland Oregon area.

My carpentry skills are pretty amature but i can find my way around. I would prefer an ark/tractor style coop. I found and bought these plans , which i really love, but after reading more and more i'm a bit concerned about the space. I'd appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks,

Nate

Last edited:
3x8, especially triangular like that, is pretty tight space for 4 chickens, to my way of thinking. (Only 6 sq ft apiece, and with the sides looming in and very little indoor space at all). If they are let out of the tractor to free-range most of each day it would be plenty big, but I assume yours won't be (...?). Also, where are you located, i.e. do you need to take wintertime and rainy weather into consideration.

The problem with scaling that coop up is that you'd have to make it significantly larger and then it would be a real problem to move (both weight-wise, and falling-apart-of-its-own-weight-and-leverage wise). You could do it but I am not sure it would be the best solution.

Are you SURE you want a tractor style coop? Especially in a small yard, it is NOT necessarily the low-impact easy clean solution that people tend to make it sound like. You will be pooing up all of your grass, and it may get raggedier and raggedier as you run over it repeatedly, etcetera. (I say this as someone whose chickens spend the summertime in a tractor, btw).

I would seriously consider a fixed coop with a fixed run. Then if you *also* want a tractor to let them go 'round and periodically dethatch and fertilize your lawn, you can do that much much more cheaply for a 'day pen' type tractor.

JMO,

Pat

Thanks you all for the speedy responses....

Those were the answers that i both expected and was dreading. The plans i purchase really did do a great job with the step by step building for an amature like myself.

patandchickens.... I originally planed on a fixed coop with a run, then i fell in love with the tractor... now i'm pretty sure it will be at least semi fixed in location.

Back
Top Bottom