Coop question vs Predation

Kyo

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2022
I'm about to upgrade my quail coop and run (to make more appealing as well as more space). Only known predators in my area are raccoons and skunks. I was just wondering if anyone knowns how thick of wood you need to keep them out? I'm looking at using cedar fencing boards to get a cheaper vs of cedar for the walls of the coops. But the part on the outside would be only 5/8" thick boards, but it will be reinforced with 2x2s on the inside. I'm just concerned the broad facing of the coop will be able to be broken or chewed through in a single night. Does anyone have any experience or advice that would help? Or thicker but cheap options that would look nice and last long?

My only alternative I know of would be to use 1x8 boards but i'd have to stain and treat to make it long lasting vs weather and still pleasant to look at. Stain would really add to the price.

I don't see why it wouldn't work! Just make sure there's no large gaps to where they could get a paw through....raccoons can reach through a 1/2" gap in a board or plywood covering. Lots of folks have wire on the inside of the coops, too!
I use 1/4" plywood on most of my quail enclosures, I haven't had a raccoon get to the quail, yet.

Back
Top Bottom