Coop run tarps

MomvdH

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2023
Central Kentucky
Hi. First post here. New chicken mama too. We have an Omlet coop that we decided to extend with a hoop coop for more space. We cannot free range due to predators. So my husband and daughter built a hoop coop for extra space, and they covered it with a heavy duty gray tarp. I was thinking clear would be better, to let in more light, but now I’m unsure. I read that chickens need plenty of light for egg laying, and I am thinking this gray tarp will make the area too dark. The ends are open, and the Omlet run has a clear cover, so there is light and ventilation. But is it enough? The coop itself is under trees = shady most of the day already. Do you all think the gray tarp will work fine and not mess up the chickens, or would it be better to replace with clear? I also read on here that clear can make the area too hot. What to do????

Attachments

• Resized_20230702_163237.jpeg
    Resized_20230702_163237.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Resized_20230702_163248.jpeg
    Resized_20230702_163248.jpeg
    948.1 KB · Views: 24
I also read on here that clear can make the area too hot.
It could for sure, depends on your climate and how much natural shade the area gets.

They need light but not direct sunlight, they aren't plants ;)

Tarps can be a tossup, even shade cloths, balancing protecting from rain and providing shade and airflow. You'll have to observe and adjust as needed over time.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @MomvdH
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1688476190307.png

Back
Top Bottom