Coop size Rode Island Red versus White Leghorns

hailcaesar

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2018
South Louisiana
I was going to get Rode Island Reds. I built the coop and run to handle 6 RRs. The coop size is roughly 3.5' x 5.5'. The inside roosting area is (2) 3' bars. 3 nesting boxes hanging on the outside of the coop. Run is 8' by 12' but do plan on letting chicken roam in a bigger area when I can watch them. Now I plan on instead of RRs to go with White Leghorns. So how many White Leghorns will you go with in this size coop and run. I will post pictures of coop and run when finished.

I was going to get Rode Island Reds. I built the coop and run to handle 6 RRs. The coop size is roughly 3.5' x 5.5'. The inside roosting area is (2) 3' bars. 3 nesting boxes hanging on the outside of the coop. Run is 8' by 12' but do plan on letting chicken roam in a bigger area when I can watch them. Now I plan on instead of RRs to go with White Leghorns. So how many White Leghorns will you go with in this size coop and run. I will post pictures of coop and run when finished.

If you multiply 3.5 x 5.5 and divide by 4, you get 4.8. I always like to give more space, not less, so I would round down and go with 4 chickens. :)

Breed doesn't matter...at least not in this case.
Agrees 4 birds would be best, tho the run sounds nice and may help with your 6(if you've already got them) IF that run is weather and predator proof.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1588111721692.png

Back
Top Bottom