Cornish cross 5 weeks can’t walk but can move legs

Ambs323

Hatching
Mar 15, 2024
Hello my dad has a about 5 Cornish Cross that are about 5 weeks old and one of them can’t walk. Some of them are also bald on their underbelly. He told me they are just meat birds and are meant for just that and basically they’re just genetically doomed and can’t live too long. Is that true? One of them can’t walk anymore but she can still move her legs she just can’t seem to keep balance so she just sits all the time. I’ve been giving her water and feeding her just normal chicken feed.
Ive been doing some reading that if you give them the right diet they can actually live awhile and I’m wondering if this is true. Also why can’t his one Cornish hen walk but she’s still able to move her legs? This whole situation makes me very sad and I absolutely never want him to ever get Cornish hens again if they really are basically “genetically doomed.”
Also I do have her separated from the other chickens and away from possible predators also she has plenty of space to try walk if she so pleases.

They are doomed but their doom can be slowed down with a restricted diet. Some can live many years. They are designed to be butchered so they put on weight quickly, thats likely why your dadbought them. What feed are you feeding? It is unusual to be that big that young.

Back
Top Bottom