CORNISH ROCKS, pets?

I don't mean this to be rude but what would be the point? I would argue it is inhumane to keep them past 10 weeks old, unless you are SUPER committed to a very restrictive feed schedule. There have been stories on here of people raising Cornish Rock/Cornish X to an older age with a very restricted feed schedule, but I think it is difficult to do. If you aren't committed to that or have other chickens, your meat chicken might get too large and develop heart and leg problems. That would be inhumane.

I think it would be best to just get a laying breed for yourself. You shouldn't feel the need to "save" a meat chicken. I know it might feel good in your heart, but you could be causing unintentional suffering. When meat birds are properly raised and quickly slaughtered, they live quite a good life.

Can you elaborate more on how people in your area are not humane in butchering? I'm wondering if it might look that way from afar but they are using quick and humane methods. Yes, chopping off a head or bleeding out a chicken can look pretty brutal, but there is very little suffering involved. It's usually over before the chicken even knows what hit it.
Okay, so i don’t know if you saw this but my mind is made up and i am not buying Cornish rocks. This thread is also five months old. But i’ll answer anyway.

No use for a laying breed, im vegan.

People put 6+ roosters and 1 hen in a tiny crate and they get over-mated then they butcher them. They don’t even get a tiny bit of a good life beforehand.

People kill chickens, and no matter how much i hate it, it happens, and that is beyond my control. What bothers me is when they live a cruel life and most never even see sunlight or grass, then get killed just for the enjoyment of meat.

Okay, so i don’t know if you saw this but my mind is made up and i am not buying Cornish rocks. This thread is also five months old. But i’ll answer anyway.

No use for a laying breed, im vegan.

People put 6+ roosters and 1 hen in a tiny crate and they get over-mated then they butcher them. They don’t even get a tiny bit of a good life beforehand.

People kill chickens, and no matter how much i hate it, it happens, and that is beyond my control. What bothers me is when they live a cruel life and most never even see sunlight or grass, then get killed just for the enjoyment of meat.
Oh my bad! I did not see that. I guess someone revived this thread and seeing their post from yesterday I thought this was a new thread.

With that said, do you still keep chickens? You said you're vegan and don't need layers, and you decided against the meaties. Do you not eat non-fertilized eggs, even if there's no harm done to the hen? I am just curious if you stopped keeping chickens altogether.

I agree that what you are describing about chickens in tiny cages does sound cruel. I hate to see that happening too. I'm raising my first batch of Cornish X right now and they will have a nice life with sunlight, fresh grass, and bugs to enjoy. I know you probably still hate that they will eventually be meat (since you're vegan), but I just wanted to give an example that not all meat birds live such a bad life.

Oh my bad! I did not see that. I guess someone revived this thread and seeing their post from yesterday I thought this was a new thread.

With that said, do you still keep chickens? You said you're vegan and don't need layers, and you decided against the meaties. Do you not eat non-fertilized eggs, even if there's no harm done to the hen? I am just curious if you stopped keeping chickens altogether.

I agree that what you are describing about chickens in tiny cages does sound cruel. I hate to see that happening too. I'm raising my first batch of Cornish X right now and they will have a nice life with sunlight, fresh grass, and bugs to enjoy. I know you probably still hate that they will eventually be meat (since you're vegan), but I just wanted to give an example that not all meat birds live such a bad life.
No worries! I understand.

Yes, i do. I just meant there would be no need for a layer specifically, because i don‘t eat the eggs anyway.
I still have all my chickens. Its mostly for choice because i think eating eggs is gross.

Thats all i think is necessary for a chicken about to be killed. Obviously i don’t like that they will be killed, but i love that they enjoy their life beforehand. Thats all that matters to me.

No worries! I understand.

Yes, i do. I just meant there would be no need for a layer specifically, because i don‘t eat the eggs anyway.
I still have all my chickens. Its mostly for choice because i think eating eggs is gross.

Thats all i think is necessary for a chicken about to be killed. Obviously i don’t like that they will be killed, but i love that they enjoy their life beforehand. Thats all that matters to me.
Oh okay! That's cool.

And yeah, there are many other people on here who humanely raise meat chickens. So that's something to feel good about. I'm sorry your neighbors aren't as caring toward the chickens. They're beautiful creatures and should be treated as such!

Back
Top Bottom