Corrugated panel roofing question

Sbr73

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
New Jersey
For those who use corrugated panels for roofing, how do you seal it? I used corrugated pvc panels for the roof but didn’t put plywood under it. Do you use plywood underneath? I screwed it directly to my 2x4’s with a sloped roof. TIA

Attachments

• E4E68EB5-85CE-472C-A3F3-315A09FF5A6C.jpeg
    E4E68EB5-85CE-472C-A3F3-315A09FF5A6C.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 42
I have corrugated metal and corrugated fiberglass roofing for my coop. My dad helped me build it and to seal it we used ‘bumps’ - basically, a strip of wood that looks like a bunch of little hills (to fill in the gaps created in the wavy pattern of the metal). Then we just screwed the metal panels to the wood below (a 2x4 frame or whatever you‘ve got holding up the roof), with the ‘bumps’ under the metal. My dad says you can go to a hardware store, tell them you need corrugated wood strips to fill the gaps in corrugated metal and they SHOULD be able to help you out.

For those who use corrugated panels for roofing, how do you seal it? I used corrugated pvc panels for the roof but didn’t put plywood under it. Do you use plywood underneath? I screwed it directly to my 2x4’s with a sloped roof. TIA
The screws used to secure it have special rubber gaskets on them that seal and you need contoured support strips in the matching profile to support the panels over each purlin. You overlap the panels per the installation instructions to seal between panels.

There's no need for plywood underneath. If you're looking for something to seal the ends, here's a link to home depot's answer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibralt...ood-Corrugated-Roof-Accessory-07126/202092953

I cut strips of hardware cloth for mine and just shoved it up as high as I could with the exposed pointy ends facing up to deter intruders.
IMG_20210324_173747.jpg

If you're referring to sealing the top from water, the panels need to overlap each other so there are no exposed seams, and there are screws with gaskets sold specifically to seal the holes. The screws should ideally be driven in on the high ribs so water runs off of them, but the gaskets seal pretty well either way.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibralt...essory-in-Gray-250-Piece-Bag-987644/314711060

I hope that helps?

PS I thought I posted this ages ago, don't know what happened...

The screws used to secure it have special rubber gaskets on them that seal and you need contoured support strips in the matching profile to support the panels over each purlin. You overlap the panels per the installation instructions to seal between panels.
Great! I used the screws with the gaskets and overlapped but I did not use the contour support.😫

There's no need for plywood underneath. If you're looking for something to seal the ends, here's a link to home depot's answer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibralt...ood-Corrugated-Roof-Accessory-07126/202092953

I cut strips of hardware cloth for mine and just shoved it up as high as I could with the exposed pointy ends facing up to deter intruders.
View attachment 2711675

If you're referring to sealing the top from water, the panels need to overlap each other so there are no exposed seams, and there are screws with gaskets sold specifically to seal the holes. The screws should ideally be driven in on the high ribs so water runs off of them, but the gaskets seal pretty well either way.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibralt...essory-in-Gray-250-Piece-Bag-987644/314711060

I hope that helps?

PS I thought I posted this ages ago, don't know what happened...
Watch those closure strips. I bought 2 or 3 different ones and none of them matched up to the ridges of the roofing. I bought the universal closure strip and that was terrible to work with.

Watch those closure strips. I bought 2 or 3 different ones and none of them matched up to the ridges of the roofing. I bought the universal closure strip and that was terrible to work with.
Good point, I was just posting an example of what's out there, I should have been clearer. I'm sure there are tons of different contours. I think the hardware cloth I used works fine.

Back
Top Bottom