Coturnix Quail Chicks - color

Sara L

Free Ranging
5 Years
Aug 14, 2017
Northern California
Hi all, I just hatched a bunch of Coturnix Quail chicks and I got a lot more color variation than I was expecting. Can I get your thoughts on what you think the fluff color will turn into? I am still learning what the different colors are called. The parents are kept in groups with one male and up to 3 females. I have a group that is Italian (tan w/black markings), a group that is Tibetan (solid medium to dark brown with black/reddish markings), a group that is Tuxedo/Brown & White (the Tibetan color with white splotches or underside), a group that is a Traditional Pharaoh male with several hens of different brown colors, and a pair that is a blond/tan tuxedo male and a silver/grey tuxedo female.

KIMG0365 (2).JPG

The yellow with black stripes I have had turn out to be Italians (tan with black markings).

KIMG0367 (2).JPG

These ones with the darker yellow/gold and thicker black/dark brown markings - are these the Traditional Pharaoh color? I surprisingly haven't had many of them so I am not as familiar with this fluff color.

KIMG0369 (2).JPG

These little ones are very dark brown, almost black - they should be the darker Tibetan color, right? The ones with the yellow undersides will turn into the darker Tibetan tuxedos.

KIMG0373 (2).JPG

These little ones are more of a medium brown with darker brown stripes, these should be more of the Tibetan color, but lighter brown?

KIMG0375 (2).JPG

I have a few like this that are a reddish brown tuxedo pattern, the last one I had turned into a lovely Red Tuxedo hen with a sweet temper. The pink on the upper chick is just the skin showing through the fluff.

KIMG0375 (3).JPG

This one I think will turn out to be the Silver or grey color. I hatched three similar ones last hatch and they turned into Silver Tuxedos or almost solid Silver with white splotches on the chest.

KIMG0382 (2).JPG

I know that's a lot of pictures but I was hoping you all could confirm what colors these chicks should turn out. I hatched a few more than I thought I would (I set 80 eggs and over 50 hatched) and am going to sell the extras, so trying to narrow down which ones I want to keep so I don't accidentally sell them. :)

Hi all, I just hatched a bunch of Coturnix Quail chicks and I got a lot more color variation than I was expecting. Can I get your thoughts on what you think the fluff color will turn into? I am still learning what the different colors are called. The parents are kept in groups with one male and up to 3 females. I have a group that is Italian (tan w/black markings), a group that is Tibetan (solid medium to dark brown with black/reddish markings), a group that is Tuxedo/Brown & White (the Tibetan color with white splotches or underside), a group that is a Traditional Pharaoh male with several hens of different brown colors, and a pair that is a blond/tan tuxedo male and a silver/grey tuxedo female.

View attachment 1275012

The yellow with black stripes I have had turn out to be Italians (tan with black markings).

View attachment 1275009

These ones with the darker yellow/gold and thicker black/dark brown markings - are these the Traditional Pharaoh color? I surprisingly haven't had many of them so I am not as familiar with this fluff color.

View attachment 1275017

These little ones are very dark brown, almost black - they should be the darker Tibetan color, right? The ones with the yellow undersides will turn into the darker Tibetan tuxedos.

View attachment 1275028

These little ones are more of a medium brown with darker brown stripes, these should be more of the Tibetan color, but lighter brown?

View attachment 1275029

I have a few like this that are a reddish brown tuxedo pattern, the last one I had turned into a lovely Red Tuxedo hen with a sweet temper. The pink on the upper chick is just the skin showing through the fluff.

View attachment 1275030

This one I think will turn out to be the Silver or grey color. I hatched three similar ones last hatch and they turned into Silver Tuxedos or almost solid Silver with white splotches on the chest.

View attachment 1275031

I know that's a lot of pictures but I was hoping you all could confirm what colors these chicks should turn out. I hatched a few more than I thought I would (I set 80 eggs and over 50 hatched) and am going to sell the extras, so trying to narrow down which ones I want to keep so I don't accidentally sell them. :)
Wow, nice assortment. Where did you get your eggs?

Wow, nice assortment. Where did you get your eggs?
Thanks! These are my own eggs. The parents are from two different sources - I got half of them from a local Craigslist seller and bought the other half on ebay from Oregon. I put the males from group A with the females from group B and vice versa; I figured that would give me pretty good genetics to start with. This is the first really large group from my birds and from all the pens. The previous hatch I did was just using the Italian, Tibetan, and Tibetan Tuxed/brown & white and it was pretty easy to tell what the babies would look like.

I forgot to add in my original post that I got two chicks that are all yellow - so they should be the english white, but none of the parents are full white, so not sure which group these chicks might have come from.

Back
Top Bottom