Coturnix Quail Housing - Me again

I just broke down and bought a Brinsea incubator and hope that it will help improve my hatches. I've been running it empty for two days and it's been keeping temp and humidity rock solid where I put it (99.5 deg/40% RH). I've got 4 independent sensors in it and they show less than 1 degree variance and less than 2% RH difference. I'll be setting another batch of my own eggs tonight or tomorrow to see if it works better for me than the others I've tried.

I hope this works out for you.

Myshire seems to be the darling of the quail hatching eggs game - but def seeing some mixed reviews.

What about ordering chicks? Hoovers has some for next week. Obviosly much more expensive, but may be worth saving the potential incubation headache.

I hope this works out for you.

Myshire seems to be the darling of the quail hatching eggs game - but def seeing some mixed reviews.

What about ordering chicks? Hoovers has some for next week. Obviosly much more expensive, but may be worth saving the potential incubation headache.
I haven't considered ordering quail chicks, mostly because of the expense. I do have an order for some chicken chicks that's scheduled to ship in August. After reading this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/problems-with-shipped-quail.1580627 , I'm a bit concerned about that.

I may consider ordering eggs from MyShire again, but I'm going to try other places first (such as Southwest Gamebirds) because I feel I need to increase the genetic diversity of my covey.

I may consider ordering eggs from MyShire again, but I'm going to try other places first (such as Southwest Gamebirds) because I feel I need to increase the genetic diversity of my covey.
This is something I didn't consider.

I went ahead and bit the bullet on this one and ordered the live chicks from Hoovers. $162 for 30 (minimum order) chicks! Yikes! I have plans for about 3 more chicken egg hatches in a row and didn't want to deter those or get another incubator. So the live birds it was.

In terms of the shipping, we live in a somewhat rural area. From march through August anytime you go into the PO you can hear chirping chicks in the back. We personally order our broiler stock each year as well. We have probably been doing this for around 10 years each year and only had one batch with a dead bird in it. They were our first Guinea fowl and we ended up losing over half of them within 24 hours. Shipment wasnt delayed, I just think they may have gotten too cold - who knows.

Long story short, our PO here is well seasoned. They also call around 6am and you can go get your birds right then, from the back door.

Anyway, I would assume quail chicks will be less hardy than a broiler chicken, so I'm happy to let you know how it goes. They are to ship on 5/22 and arrive 5/24.

Hello again my quail friends, I have one more, very broad question -

After going back and forth, I am settling on Cotrunix Quail, and am thinking about starting with something like 36 of them. Unlike the BobWhite, understand these are flightless and dual purpose, which has heavily weighed my decision. We live in a smaller town and currently have a monopoly on selling chicken eggs. I think we will blow some minds when we offer quail eggs along side them!!

I am not to keen to the laying/grow out cages that I see everywhere. I understand they are a quail and have minimal needs, but I would really like to build something similar to a chicken run for them, where they will be on the good ole' ground and not wire and be able to stretch their legs a bit. With that said, I am just looking for some examples or guidance as to how to go about this, and wondering if there are any good resources. I understand the exterior framing and hardware cloth, but what about their shelter within the shelter? If. just put a box in there on the ground, like a bird house, will they just go in there and rest? Or just sleep around the inside of the cage?

Is there anything the need habitually? Like a chicken needs a roost?

Sorry, I know these are basic, but I am just having a heck of a time trying to find this info!!

I did buy the quail egg turner for my incubator, so I am committed now!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom