Coturnix Quail Post-Hatch Success Rate

ZenQuail1926

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
I am new to raising jumbo brown coturnix quail. I successfully hatched 14/15 eggs. 2 of the hatchlings toward the end of the hatch turned out very small/runt like and did not make it pass day 3. What is the typical loss rate post hatch for these guys? I have a well ventilated brooder box, brooder plate lowered to quail hatchling height, temp is 95, food is gamebird starter 25% protein (ground up fine), and plenty of water (stones that were boiled clean in the dish to prevent drowning), and the bedding is currently puppy pads - soon to be shavings (not cedar). Any additional tips?

14 of 15 is a very good hatch rate. The runts often don't make it, but 3 runts out of 14 seems kind of high to me, but not outside the range of possibility. 11 chicks out of 15 eggs is still a good hatch.
Thank you so much for that feedback! I really appreciate it :)

Depends on the health of the parent stock, genetics, and nutritional intake or the lack there of....there is no real 'loss rate'....in other words, if all of the above requirements are met, then the survivability of the hatchling should be very high but even with that being covered, some chicks just have a 'failure to thrive'.

In my first hatch I lost 2 to wry neck, and two more to unknown causes. They were from the same batch of shipped eggs, so I’m guessing it was genetics. I’ve subce hatched 2 more batches and haven't lost any chicks since.

Back
Top Bottom