Coughing and gurgling chicken

Karebare095

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
Good afternoon! I have a cream legbar hen that is just over 1 year old. At the beginning of the week I noticed she had a very minor cough. It has gotten worse as the week progressed and she now has a gurgle as well. The only reason I have not treated her yet was because I have been trying to research whether it could be worms, or an infection.

She has no other symptoms, just a cough and is really gurgle. She has bouts where she stands hunched and them is up an about acting fine. She is eating and drinking. I picked up tylan 50 and some syringes to treat her but before I did I was wondering if anyone might have some insight as to if it is a respiratory infection? Thank you so much!

There is no mucous or bubbling and I haven't noticed any bloat or fluid in her abdomen. I haven't checked for lesions or her crop but I will go do that. She was laying but noticed she didn't lay yesterday and so far hasn't layer today and her feathers below her vent are covered in poo.

If you can get some photos of her and her poop that may help.

A video of what she sounds like if you have it. For video upload to Youtube and provide a link, the BYC upload doesn't work.

Gave her some coconut oil and massage her crop a bit. Toward the end she was eating the coconut oil on her own and she wants to forage. She also laid an egg and is perky. So other than the cough, gurgle and bad breath she has no other symptoms.

I took away her food for the rest of the day and will check her crop again tomorrow morning to see if it feels full.

Her crop feels a little hard, like it is full, and her breath definitely has an odor.

Gave her some coconut oil and massage her crop a bit. Toward the end she was eating the coconut oil on her own and she wants to forage. She also laid an egg and is perky. So other than the cough, gurgle and bad breath she has no other symptoms.

I took away her food for the rest of the day and will check her crop again tomorrow morning to see if it feels full.
Bad odor, check to see where that's coming from the crop or if there's lesions inside the beak.

If it's the crop, then I would start treating for Sour Crop with a yeast cream as described in the article. Not trying to dismiss the cough and gurgle as respiratory illness...I'd address the crop and get it functioning first, see if that cough and gurgle sound resolves when you do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Glad she perked up a little.

Back
Top Bottom