Could a 3 month old rooster take over the coop VS 1 year old hens?

Aug 30, 2020
Not sure here, but, I bought 6 chicks from tractor supply. They were 3 weeks old when I got them. Now they’re a little over 3 months. I have them all in the coop/run with my 2 hens which are about a year old. The hens would kind of pick on the smaller chicks-but recently I’ve been hearing one of the “chicks” making maybe a “roosting” noise.

I’ve also been noticing one of my “chicks” hanging around the 2 hens and isn’t scared of their tactics. And usually all 3 hang out on a roosting bar together

For instance this afternoon, I brought some food out to them, and usually the hens would have to eat first then the chicks. Well this afternoon I noticed one of the “chicks” made a noise and they all ate together no problem. So I’m wondering if it’s possible I have rooster starting to take charge

Post some photos so we can help you decide if you do have a cockerel out there.
If you do have a three month old cockerel, he needs to mature a lot before your hens will take him seriously, and that's fine. As long as there are no injuries, watch as things develop.
Mary

I will take some pictures this weekend.
If I have a rooster I’m not overly concerned.
I don’t think there will be any injuries.

I put all the chicks in the coop when they were 5 weeks old.

I just wonder why all of a sudden there’s no more “Pecking” order and they all get along all of a sudden. This is the only change I’ve noticed.

Back
Top Bottom