Could use some advice!

CharmingChickens

🦜🦃🐓🦢🦆Started with chickens now has an army 🦆🦢🐓🦃🦜
Apr 30, 2023
Maine
Okay, so I have this broody named Teddy who has probably been sitting on her nest for over a month. And this morning I noticed one of her eggs was cracked, I couldn't tell if it was a pip or not but I didn't think it was because it was only around day 25-27. Let me add that this is a hen sitting on 4 duck eggs, she had 1 chicken egg too but I found out it was rotten. Anyways I candled the egg with the crack and it was still moving inside, so I assumed it was an early hatcher. I contemplated whether to put tape or something on the crack, but decided not to just in case it was hatching. so I put it back under her. At around 2:00 pm I checked on Teddy and the eggs. I found a dead duckling covered in shavings. :( The poor baby. When I took it out of the nest to bury it there was there quite a bit yolk attached. The duckling also seemed smaller than normal. I assume she would've hatched in 2-3 days. No idea how the crack formed, Teddy must have stepped on the weak spot on the egg and it broke, or if It was an early hatcher she got squished. There is 2 other eggs, but when I candled them I couldn't even shine the light through the egg. completely black, no veins, no movement I've seen. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to hatch. they look completely different from the one that broke. I feel so bad for Teddy, she was worked so hard for this and i'd hate for her not to hatch. But I don't want her to get sick from nesting too long. She still comes out every time i feed and water. But I don't know. What should I do? Should I give her more eggs for a second chance, or should I separate her and stop her broodiness.

Can you buy a couple of day or two old chicks for her?
If not, then I would break her, and let her get back to normal life.

I decided to go with my gut and get rid of her two eggs. I'm glad I did, turns out they were rotten! we do have chicks right now, but they're too old to go with Teddy. So I made the decision to put her in a separate cage. I gave her food and water, with some sunflowerseeds, and fresh oregano from the garden. I have a question though. How long does it usually take to break a broody hen?

Is your cage off the ground with a mesh floor? You need the air to flow under her so she can't keep it warm down there.
With that setup, it can take anywhere from 1 to 4 days normally. If you have the time, you can let her out under supervision to stretch her legs, and see if she trys to get back to her nest. If she doesn't, she is likely over it. (although still keep an eye on her, and be ready to put her back in the cage)

It does have a mesh floor. Tomorrow I can put it off the ground so there is air flow. Thanks for the information!

Okay, so I have this broody named Teddy who has probably been sitting on her nest for over a month. And this morning I noticed one of her eggs was cracked, I couldn't tell if it was a pip or not but I didn't think it was because it was only around day 25-27. Let me add that this is a hen sitting on 4 duck eggs, she had 1 chicken egg too but I found out it was rotten. Anyways I candled the egg with the crack and it was still moving inside, so I assumed it was an early hatcher. I contemplated whether to put tape or something on the crack, but decided not to just in case it was hatching. so I put it back under her. At around 2:00 pm I checked on Teddy and the eggs. I found a dead duckling covered in shavings. :( The poor baby. When I took it out of the nest to bury it there was there quite a bit yolk attached. The duckling also seemed smaller than normal. I assume she would've hatched in 2-3 days. No idea how the crack formed, Teddy must have stepped on the weak spot on the egg and it broke, or if It was an early hatcher she got squished. There is 2 other eggs, but when I candled them I couldn't even shine the light through the egg. completely black, no veins, no movement I've seen. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to hatch. they look completely different from the one that broke. I feel so bad for Teddy, she was worked so hard for this and i'd hate for her not to hatch. But I don't want her to get sick from nesting too long. She still comes out every time i feed and water. But I don't know. What should I do? Should I give her more eggs for a second chance, or should I separate her and stop her broodiness.
Really sorry for your loss!!!
Regarding the other three; I'm thinking perhaps they will hatch soon; or they could not hatch for some reason ( perhaps no enough moisture?) and died in the egg .
I would broke one to see if it's alive; if so I would leave the other two for a couple of more days; if dead, probably the others dead too; the end of this road.
Sorry, again; perhaps next time you'll get more success.

Back
Top Bottom