Cow AND Chicken fence?

Homestead Sam

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2020
Howdy! I’m not 100% sure where to post this, but here we go.

Does anyone have a fence that holds both chickens and cows in?

I’m working on my latest mobile coop (built into a utility trailer), and I’m planning on running my hens on pasture behind rotational grazing milk cows.

My question is, does anyone have experience with containing both large and small animals with the same fence?
I was thinking of putting up tight pattern, no-climb woven wire, with a single hot wire on top. The cattle will be smaller Jerseys (not too hard to contain), but the hens are known escape artists. The hope is the hot wire will keep the hens from jumping over.

I also have a tremendous amount of predators (especially foxes and coyotes). Whatever the fence, it needs to deter them as well as keep critters in.

Are you looking for mobile or permanent fencing? Most dairy cows can be contained by 1 strand of wire at 36" or so. So anything that will contain chickens should contain a behaved cow.

I don't see any updates but want to offer a little advise. Pasture fence with 3 strands of electric fence (5" and 10" off the ground with a top strand) will train predators to leave your livestock alone. It'll keep weasels, dogs, bob cats, coyotes,possums and raccoons out (even bears if baited) Chickens raised in a fence with plenty to eat will rarely fly over a fence unless the roosters encourage them. Not keeping excess roosters in the flock reduces stress in a flock and makes the flock easier to manage. When raised in opens spaces and free ranged from daylight till dark most chickens will fly over a fence. Chickens trapped inside a fence are chickens that get killed.You want your chickens to be able to fly in and out while free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom