Cows and goats

Canuck88

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
BC
Just have a few questions for people who might keep milk cows AND milk goats.

I have had goats before (we bred Nigerian Dwarves but I never ended up milking them).
We currently have cows at my mom’s place but she is basically just raising them for farm status (selling the calves etc).

In the future I would like to have a milk cow and possibly a milk goat as well.

1. Does anyone keep their cow(s) and goat(s) together? If yes, can you share pics of your housing setup?

2. Does anyone make butter from goats milk?

3. Does goats milk taste the same/similar to cows milk (I know I know, everyone probably asks this but I kick myself for not trying our goats’ milk when we did have them).

Thanks for your help!

Picture of one of our bottle calves just because :)
45330D1C-DE85-4694-B377-30C7EF1B3EA2.jpeg

Goats milk can be great or terrible depending on a number of conditions. As for making butter from goats milk you can but I found it to be more trouble than it is worth. I had both cows and goats but I did not house them together because the cows are so much bigger than the goats. I did pasture them together on occasion though.

1. Does anyone keep their cow(s) and goat(s) together? If yes, can you share pics of your housing setup?
I have, and milk, both. They share a barn, pasture and loafing shed, but have separate stalls in the barn. They need plenty of room to avoid each other, as cows can be bullies and goats can be annoying
2. Does anyone make butter from goats milk?
You can, but it's a lot of work. You need a cream separator. In a pinch, you can freeze the milk and shake it as it thaws, because the cream thaws first. Which is a way better science experiment than a way to get actually usable amounts of butter.
3. Does goats milk taste the same/similar to cows milk (I know I know, everyone probably asks this but I kick myself for not trying our goats’ milk when we did have them).
Goats milk - like cows milk - will vary based on individual, breed, diet and season. You don't notice this with milk from the store, because that is milk from a LOT of cows all mixed together.
The best goats milk I had was better than cows milk. The worst was pretty bad, by which I mean fine to cook with, but no desire to drink. Nubians and Saanens are known for their sweet milk. Toggenburgs are known for their stronger milk that makes better cheese.

A goats milk can sometimes be "goaty" and it often traces back to health, diet and hygiene. And a cow's milk can also be "cowy" and that is some rank, feed it to the pigs kinda stuff.
If you get either, first fix health, diet and hygiene and if that doesn't clear it up quick, send her to live with a meat herd.
Thanks for your help!
You're welcome.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom