Cracked eggs, but no zip after 30hrs (30 plus eggs)

Muhammad 2146

Hatching
Jan 30, 2024
Hello,
I am new to incubating eggs, my chukar patridge over almost 3 months has laid close to 60 eggs. Initially I had made a incubator out of a cardboard box and tried my best to maintain the temp at 37 to 38 degrees. The first egg made a crack on its shell on the 24th day and was out by the end of the day (this was the only chick that hatched on its own) the rest of the eggs had only made cracks in the eggs and stuck their beaks out. The made no progress what so ever despite waiting 30 hrs. Same has happed to the other 3 batchs that I did with a incubator I bought. I have tried to increasing the humidity to 80+ precent and have also tried keeping the humidity at 60% but the same thing happens regardless. I have had to assist hatch almost 30 chicks of which 3 survived. The chicks after the first day get sick, and it is almost 100% fatal, only 1 chick had survived after getting sick. The initially become lethargic and soon start gasping for air. Their throat gets filled with mucus. The only reason I kept on incubating was because the patridge would refuse to sit on the eggs it had laid up until 3 days ago. I have had a 90% success rate on the eggs fully foraming its just that they can't seem to hatch on their own, and those that I help hatch die within 3 days of the sickness. Please help. I have the final 3 eggs left in the incubator their lock down was 2 days ago, and on of the eggs had a beak poking out of it, since 5hrs ago.

This is as far as they get. This one stuck its beak our a 1 pm it is currently 6:45pm. This one unfortunately did not make it. I have 2 more eggs left.

Attachments

• 17066006621462404475867968099750.jpg
    17066006621462404475867968099750.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 4
Don't know what to say, just sad! You really need to take the time to make a better incubator. Try a Styrofoam cooler box.
It sounds like your temps never got high enough, but I'm just guessing.

Hello,
I am new to incubating eggs, my chukar patridge over almost 3 months has laid close to 60 eggs. Initially I had made an incubator out of a cardboard box and tried my best to maintain the temp at 37 to 38 degrees. The first egg made a crack on its shell on the 24th day and was out by the end of the day (this was the only chick that hatched on its own) the rest of the eggs had only made cracks in the eggs and stuck their beaks out. The made no progress what so ever despite waiting 30 hrs. Same has happed to the other 3 batchs that I did with an incubator I bought. I have tried to increasing the humidity to 80+ precent and have also tried keeping the humidity at 60% but the same thing happens regardless. I have had to assist hatch almost 30 chicks of which 3 survived. The chicks after the first day get sick, and it is almost 100% fatal, only 1 chick had survived after getting sick. The initially become lethargic and soon start gasping for air. Their throat gets filled with mucus. The only reason I kept on incubating was because the patridge would refuse to sit on the eggs it had laid up until 3 days ago. I have had a 90% success rate on the eggs fully foraming its just that they can't seem to hatch on their own, and those that I help hatch die within 3 days of the sickness. Please help. I have the final 3 eggs left in the incubator their lock down was 2 days ago, and on of the eggs had a beak poking out of it, since 5hrs ago.
Look up Emergency Prep Guy on YouTube. He has some great chukar hatching videos and explains what could be happening. Good luck!

I would say one thing left to try is a different birds eggs to see if it might be related to the parents genetics/physical condition. So for example if you use the same set up and a different birds eggs hatch fine then you can narrow it down to your hen.

There could be some type of bacteria contamination of your home too. Something that does not harm human or adult bird but is fatal to the freshly hatched. As a nurse I know I have accidently carried bacteria to some of my pets/animals.

Back
Top Bottom