Crackling sound from the rump/vent area

ColdArtist

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
So, I've posted on these forums once before about a little rosecomb bantam hen of which I thought she might've been suffering from a gapeworm or respiratory infection, I received some great advice and insight and that issue has since been resolved because she rarely does it anymore and when she does she only does it once or twice unlike before when she did it about 5 times in a row but then didn't do it for quite a while.

I've come back for more advice, because that same hen has recently started making this weird crackling or gravely noise coming from what seems to be her body right behind her wings, I originally thought it was happening within her wing feathers and that her feathers were somehow grinding against eachother without her even moving at all, this started yesterday and the noise was faint and unclear when it started, today however I could hear it much more clearly and started wondering about it.

So I looked it up and the only thing I found was a post on this from 2012 about the same issue with a Splash Polish hen, the thread was never answered and somehow is still being commented on quite recently.

It seems at some point there was a video provided with this post but it wasn't there anymore, I guess. so I've come to provide a picture along with a video of the crackling sound, I think the sound can be heard quite clearly.

I don't think it's worms or anything like that, I thought it was wing feathers grinding at first but it definitely isn't, the only logical explanation I can think of would be that she might've eaten a bit too much grit and it's just the grit moving around her body, but then again the sound is pretty constant, with intervals of about 3 to 5 seconds before it happens again. And it's been going on since yesterday so I can't help but worry, and I'm also very very curious about this since the other post left it unanswered.
Hoping anyone knows anything about this.
IMG_20210705_111420.jpeg

EDIT: I just held one of my other hens to check and I suddenly heard it coming from her too, it's still faint and not as strong as with the rosecomb but I can still hear it clearly, with this one I've estimated that it happens within intervals of about 10-12 seconds, I'm really confused at this point.

Last edited:
Please is your hen alive? Did you realize the cause of it? I'm experiencing same problem with my hen...my hen was overly mated yesterday by sine roosters tho
So, I've posted on these forums once before about a little rosecomb bantam hen of which I thought she might've been suffering from a gapeworm or respiratory infection, I received some great advice and insight and that issue has since been resolved because she rarely does it anymore and when she does she only does it once or twice unlike before when she did it about 5 times in a row but then didn't do it for quite a while.

I've come back for more advice, because that same hen has recently started making this weird crackling or gravely noise coming from what seems to be her body right behind her wings, I originally thought it was happening within her wing feathers and that her feathers were somehow grinding against eachother without her even moving at all, this started yesterday and the noise was faint and unclear when it started, today however I could hear it much more clearly and started wondering about it.

So I looked it up and the only thing I found was a post on this from 2012 about the same issue with a Splash Polish hen, the thread was never answered and somehow is still being commented on quite recently.

It seems at some point there was a video provided with this post but it wasn't there anymore, I guess. so I've come to provide a picture along with a video of the crackling sound, I think the sound can be heard quite clearly.

I don't think it's worms or anything like that, I thought it was wing feathers grinding at first but it definitely isn't, the only logical explanation I can think of would be that she might've eaten a bit too much grit and it's just the grit moving around her body, but then again the sound is pretty constant, with intervals of about 3 to 5 seconds before it happens again. And it's been going on since yesterday so I can't help but worry, and I'm also very very curious about this since the other post left it unanswered.
Hoping anyone knows anything about this.View attachment 2747765
EDIT: I just held one of my other hens to check and I suddenly heard it coming from her too, it's still faint and not as strong as with the rosecomb but I can still hear it clearly, with this one I've estimated that it happens within intervals of about 10-12 seconds, I'm really confused at this point.

EDIT: I just held one of my other hens to check and I suddenly heard it coming from her too, it's still faint and not as strong as with the rosecomb but I can still hear it clearly, with this one I've estimated that it happens within intervals of about 10-12 seconds, I'm really confused atPlease is your hen alive? Did you realize the cause of it? I'm experiencing same problem iwith my hen...my hen was overly mated yesterday by sine roosters tho

Please is your hen alive? Did you realize the cause of it? I'm experiencing same problem with my hen...my hen was overly mated yesterday by sine roosters tho

Did you ever figure this out? We have this happening with one of out hens at the moment. It sounds like pop rocks crackling, or a plastic wal mart bag crinkling, coming from her back end. It happens about twice every minute in our hen, doesn't seem to be when she breathes.

Did you ever figure this out? We have this happening with one of out hens at the moment. It sounds like pop rocks crackling, or a plastic wal mart bag crinkling, coming from her back end. It happens about twice every minute in our hen, doesn't seem to be when she breathes.
Im having the same with one of mine too, so glad I found this thread because I had no idea how to explain it! It sounds like it’s coming from her back end but I can’t even begin to figure out what it could be, did you find out what it was? Was your hen okay?

Back
Top Bottom