Cream Legbar (1 yr) Has Odd, Non-Contagious Symptoms

Oh! Sorry Wyorp Rock. A friend (who knows anatomy) helped with the autopsy/necropsy before i saw your post/this video. (I dont know the difference between autopsy and necropsy.)

Friend and I figured it was likely egg yolk peritonitis. We found what looked like about 5-7 egg yolks and 1 empty egg sack. We are guessing the egg sack ruptured in the cloetum(?) which then infected the area. There were “bubbles” which might have indicated the infection.

Petra was also dehrydrated, which I can’t exactly understand that connection to the egg yolk peritonitis, but my friend said it was likely related. There was a buildup of hard feces in the gastrointestinal tract (we actually thought that it was rock), which would explain the diarrhea, if the bacterial infection wasn’t enough.

One of the glands didnt look healthy, but im not sure which gland it was - it was beet red color, a little bigger than the size of a US quarter. It was discolored.

We buried her nearby another chicken of her flock who passed earlier this year.

I am so sorry for your loss....😢

Thank you for providing great care to Petra and for your willingness to share your experience with the rest of us here. I would have done everything you did trying to find a solution to your problems with Petra, I don't know anything else you could have done, as her condition was not treatable without major surgery I suppose.

I hope the best for your flock now and for the knowledge you have gathered from so many on this site, keep up your good work.

Oh! Sorry Wyorp Rock. A friend (who knows anatomy) helped with the autopsy/necropsy before i saw your post/this video. (I dont know the difference between autopsy and necropsy.)

Friend and I figured it was likely egg yolk peritonitis. We found what looked like about 5-7 egg yolks and 1 empty egg sack. We are guessing the egg sack ruptured in the cloetum(?) which then infected the area. There were “bubbles” which might have indicated the infection.

Petra was also dehrydrated, which I can’t exactly understand that connection to the egg yolk peritonitis, but my friend said it was likely related. There was a buildup of hard feces in the gastrointestinal tract (we actually thought that it was rock), which would explain the diarrhea, if the bacterial infection wasn’t enough.

One of the glands didnt look healthy, but im not sure which gland it was - it was beet red color, a little bigger than the size of a US quarter. It was discolored.

We buried her nearby another chicken of her flock who passed earlier this year.
I'm glad you had a friend help you and you were able to investigate more, it's always a learning experience.
If you found yolks and a shell membrane in the Coelomic cavity (abdominal cavity), then it does sound like EYP or Internal Laying - both basically have the same symptoms and unfortunate ending.
Sometimes when there's material in the abdomen like that it can slow the digestive system, so she may have been having a hard time passing waste.

Back
Top Bottom