creasted Call ducks?????

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
My "pure" snowy call ducks and "pure" Grey Call drake hatched out some babies. We have no other ducks. (well we didn't when they started setting on there eggs anyway) yet when the babies hatched Sunday I noticed so far two of the dark colored ones have a large yellow Poof on there head. My hubby was sure somehow our Crevecour hen our Silky roosters had somehow bred these ducks resulting in ducklings with creasts! lmao! I almost hated to tell him there are creasted ducks. However I have never heard of Creasted call ducks! Anyone else?
Will post pictures as soon as I get my friends camera to download the pics onto my computer

Thanks
Melissa

lau.gif
Those are some adorable little ducks. Can't wait to see pics of the ducklings you have

49478_dscf2018.jpg

Hatched Saturday (all day)

Have great news all! My sister-in-law and I have tried the last few months on hatching call ducks, with little to no success. They would stop after the first pip and never finish.

So we tried a new method, I have 5 broody hens at any given time, she set the eggs in the incubator and turner, for 3 weeks, on the last week, she brought them here. 10 out of 20 hatched, we did lose one. Hens hatched out 5 by themselves. After the others started to zip I brought them in to finish, other hens were trying to force them out.

They seemed to respond great with me putting a warm, wet washcloth over them, they loved cuddling up with it, and the moisture made a difference.

Wanted to share, we've only had 1-3% hatch, and it's up to 50%. Next hatch we will use the same method, MINUS the turner as we heard it is actually more natural while incubating to have them on their side.

Here are some pics. I'm so excited, my sister was sooooooo excited! They went home with her today.

Kate

I had my first ever duck hatch and it was call ducks. Out of 5 one was born with a crest. She has a little puff on the top of her head. She was born on my best friend's birthday, and my friend wears her hair spikey, she we named her DD after my friend Diane
smile.png

This is DD

50011_p4050098.jpg

Back
Top Bottom