create a new breed

belek

Hatching
Apr 6, 2024
I am excited to share with you a project that I have been envisioning for some time: the creation of a new poultry breed through the crossbreeding of Amrock and Bresse chickens. At just 18 years old, I have discovered my passion for poultry farming, and this project represents an exciting challenge and a great learning opportunity for me.

Project Overview:My goal is to combine the best characteristics of the two breeds, leveraging the resilience and adaptability of Amrock chickens and the meat quality and growth rate of Bresse chickens to create a hybrid with superior and unique performance.

Desired Characteristics:

Meat Quality: I aim for the new breed to maintain the prized meat quality typical of Bresse chickens, characterized by tenderness, flavor, and juiciness.Robustness and Adaptability: Amrock chickens are known for their resilience and adaptability to various environmental conditions. I would like the new breed to inherit this robustness, allowing them to thrive in different environments.Egg Production: Although Bresse chickens are not particularly known for their prolific egg-laying, I would like the new breed to have good egg production, striking a balance between meat quality and egg production.Barred Plumage like Amrock: I appreciate the distinctive appearance of the barred plumage of Amrock chickens, and I would like the new breed to maintain this aesthetic feature.Size and Robustness of Roosters: I want the roosters of the new breed to be robust and imposing in size, effectively fulfilling their role as guardians of the flock and protecting the hens.Phases of the Process:

Parent Selection: I will start by carefully selecting the parents for the crossbreeding, aiming to identify healthy, vigorous individuals that best represent the desired characteristics of the respective breeds.Crossbreeding: I will crossbreed an Amrock rooster with Bresse hens and vice versa, initiating the process of creating two distinct genetic lines, each with specific characteristics of the parent breeds.Progeny Selection: From the early generations of crossbreeding, I will carefully select offspring that exhibit the desired characteristics, such as resilience, prolificacy, and meat quality.Backcrossing: I will use backcrossing to consolidate the desired characteristics in the genetic line while maintaining genetic diversity.Testing and Evaluation: I will continue to test and evaluate the new genetic lines, closely monitoring performance and making any necessary corrections or improvements.Breed Stabilization: The ultimate goal is to stabilize the new breed, ensuring that the desired characteristics are fixed within the population.I invite all interested members to participate in this discussion and share their experiences, knowledge, and suggestions on crossbreeding and creating new poultry breeds. Every contribution is valuable and can contribute to the success of this project.

I hope this discussion can become a reference point for poultry enthusiasts interested in contributing to the creation of new poultry breeds.

Thank you for your interest and support.

There are a couple of threads or forums near to what you're doing. Maybe @MysteryChicken can either point you to them or help you start a new one if that's what you're looking to do. That's one person I know who breeds for specific traits.

Welcome to BYC!! :frow

I am excited to share with you a project that I have been envisioning for some time: the creation of a new poultry breed through the crossbreeding of Amrock and Bresse chickens. At just 18 years old, I have discovered my passion for poultry farming, and this project represents an exciting challenge and a great learning opportunity for me.

Project Overview:My goal is to combine the best characteristics of the two breeds, leveraging the resilience and adaptability of Amrock chickens and the meat quality and growth rate of Bresse chickens to create a hybrid with superior and unique performance.

Desired Characteristics:

Meat Quality: I aim for the new breed to maintain the prized meat quality typical of Bresse chickens, characterized by tenderness, flavor, and juiciness.Robustness and Adaptability: Amrock chickens are known for their resilience and adaptability to various environmental conditions. I would like the new breed to inherit this robustness, allowing them to thrive in different environments.Egg Production: Although Bresse chickens are not particularly known for their prolific egg-laying, I would like the new breed to have good egg production, striking a balance between meat quality and egg production.Barred Plumage like Amrock: I appreciate the distinctive appearance of the barred plumage of Amrock chickens, and I would like the new breed to maintain this aesthetic feature.Size and Robustness of Roosters: I want the roosters of the new breed to be robust and imposing in size, effectively fulfilling their role as guardians of the flock and protecting the hens.Phases of the Process:

Parent Selection: I will start by carefully selecting the parents for the crossbreeding, aiming to identify healthy, vigorous individuals that best represent the desired characteristics of the respective breeds.Crossbreeding: I will crossbreed an Amrock rooster with Bresse hens and vice versa, initiating the process of creating two distinct genetic lines, each with specific characteristics of the parent breeds.Progeny Selection: From the early generations of crossbreeding, I will carefully select offspring that exhibit the desired characteristics, such as resilience, prolificacy, and meat quality.Backcrossing: I will use backcrossing to consolidate the desired characteristics in the genetic line while maintaining genetic diversity.Testing and Evaluation: I will continue to test and evaluate the new genetic lines, closely monitoring performance and making any necessary corrections or improvements.Breed Stabilization: The ultimate goal is to stabilize the new breed, ensuring that the desired characteristics are fixed within the population.I invite all interested members to participate in this discussion and share their experiences, knowledge, and suggestions on crossbreeding and creating new poultry breeds. Every contribution is valuable and can contribute to the success of this project.

I hope this discussion can become a reference point for poultry enthusiasts interested in contributing to the creation of new poultry breeds.

Thank you for your interest and support.
That's alot of reading for a tired brain. Spent 2hrs cleaning a coop that was overdue for it's spring cleaning.

Anyway.
Shouldn't be too hard to achieve what you want.
The Bresse X Amrock(European Barred Rocks), will make paints, blacks, & whites as your first generation. They will have barring, or ghost barring if the rooster was the Barred parent. Other way around would be sexlinked.

Tenderness will have to be selected through consuming the offspring of each pair, if super tender offspring are produced continue with that pair.

Meat volume will have to be selected through the meatiest parents. Any offspring from them that don't end up very meaty will have to be culled.

Back
Top Bottom