Crested Cream Legbar boys?

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
So this year I ordered speckled Sussex (for a breeding project) and threw in some whiting true blues for fun. Well when they arrived I kept them under a heat lamp while I waited to make sure my fancy new producers pride brooder was working right. Next day it seemed good to go so moved them all over and went to bed. In the night the darn thing malfunctioned and killed 19 chicks. I was SO upset and after picking out all the dead ones and moving the survivors back over to the tried and true heat lamp brooder I called the local TSC that sold me the brooder. They said "oh yeah we knew about that problem that's why we stopped using them". I was horrified and asked to talk to the manager. He was a nice enough guy, he's helped me in store before, and agreed to help make it right. He got me replacements through Hoovers for the speckled Sussex but hoovers doesn't sell the WTB so we opted for the closest thing: the crested cream legbars. They only have them available straight run so he ordered 20 to replace the 13 females I had lost of the WTB. They arrived today and I'm trying to figure out how many females I ended up with after this whole ordeal. Hoovers sent exactly 20, no extras, but so far there have been no fatalities. I'd love to borrow the eye of someone more familiar with this breed. I'm thinking these 11 are males? One of them seems to be sort of a ginger off color, is that bad breeding or normal? Please let me know your thoughts as I'm not as familiar with the legbar as I am with my other breeds.

Attachments

• 20230519_180247.jpg
    20230519_180247.jpg
    835.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230519_180516.jpg
    20230519_180516.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 24
Males are lighter and have the pale dot on their heads, females are darker with an even darker stripe down it’s back 😊
That's how I separated out these ones. Just wanted to confirm with someone more knowledgeable that I sorted accurately. Also wanted an opinion on the orangish chick.

So this year I ordered speckled Sussex (for a breeding project) and threw in some whiting true blues for fun. Well when they arrived I kept them under a heat lamp while I waited to make sure my fancy new producers pride brooder was working right. Next day it seemed good to go so moved them all over and went to bed. In the night the darn thing malfunctioned and killed 19 chicks. I was SO upset and after picking out all the dead ones and moving the survivors back over to the tried and true heat lamp brooder I called the local TSC that sold me the brooder. They said "oh yeah we knew about that problem that's why we stopped using them". I was horrified and asked to talk to the manager. He was a nice enough guy, he's helped me in store before, and agreed to help make it right. He got me replacements through Hoovers for the speckled Sussex but hoovers doesn't sell the WTB so we opted for the closest thing: the crested cream legbars. They only have them available straight run so he ordered 20 to replace the 13 females I had lost of the WTB. They arrived today and I'm trying to figure out how many females I ended up with after this whole ordeal. Hoovers sent exactly 20, no extras, but so far there have been no fatalities. I'd love to borrow the eye of someone more familiar with this breed. I'm thinking these 11 are males? One of them seems to be sort of a ginger off color, is that bad breeding or normal? Please let me know your thoughts as I'm not as familiar with the legbar as I am with my other breeds.
Looks like the first over from the top left maybe a pullet in the box. But the rest are cockerels.

The buff colored one may just be lighter in color. They are supposed to vary a little bit. If not, you'll have to let it feather out a bit before you know.

That's how I separated out these ones. Just wanted to confirm with someone more knowledgeable that I sorted accurately. Also wanted an opinion on the orangish chick.
I’m sorry, my wifi is spotty and the whole post didn’t load before I answered.

I think I see a couple females in that pick. The orangish one looks like some of my Easter Eggers , but if CCL, I would say make, due to the lighter color.

Looks like the first over from the top left maybe a pullet in the box. But the rest are cockerels.

The buff colored one may just be lighter in color. They are supposed to vary a little bit. If not, you'll have to let it feather out a bit before you know.
Oh well that would be nice if that top 2nd left was female. Then at least it would be an even split male/female. I still didn't recover my losses from my original order but it's better than being out $70ish

How did the fancy brooder malfunction? Or what was the malfunction?

Back
Top Bottom