Crippled Pekin

bksmith

Hatching
Nov 9, 2020
Hi all - new member here!

Backstory: I did a crash course in duck husbandry this year and opted for a handful of runner ducklings for egg production. The feed store threw in an extra because she had a case of wry neck and they didn't know what to do with her, so I brought her home and learned all the things about supplementation and proper feeding and somehow got this duckling upright (although she never really has been 100%) and back with her friends. Fast forward to her first molt - the nutritional demands had her back to doing stargazing and backflips again and after finding her cast upside down twice, I opted to separate her for more intensive care. Because I'm a softie and knowing she needed a buddy, I posted on my local livestock forum looking for another duck with "issues" that wouldn't out compete her at the food bowl, etc. Someone offered me a Pekin that couldn't walk because it "grew too fast for it's legs." Selling point was that it was a female (ha!) duck, so I drove halfway across the state to go get it. (The things I do.)

Turns out that the LARGEST pekin I've ever seen in my life is actually a drake. (Husband took one look and named him the USS Barry White.) I think he suffered from niacin deficiency as a duckling and as near as I can tell, his joints are permanently deformed.

So at the moment, I'm housing both ducks in a large dog kennel in my livingroom on a thick bed of hay. They are very polite houseguests. The pressure sores on the Pekin have cleared up (he was initially housed on hard ground). I'm filling the bathtub daily for them. Barry loves it. The wry neck runner duck, not so much.

My major question here concerns Barry (the pekin). Quality of life is important. He can't walk without twisting his feet around (I think the tendons have slipped or ruptured in his hocks) but does seem to shift himself on the soft bedding using his tail and balancing on his legs. He swims fine. He seems content. He has a great appetite and behaves pretty much like a normal duck. I am unable to gauge if he's in pain (or how much) - I'm just not familiar enough. Has anyone cared for a duck with this kind of condition? Would it be better for me to put him to sleep? He's one of this year's hatch, so I think he's about 8 months old. If he can be kept comfortably on soft bedding in his own pen with his little runner friend (with regular swim sessions), then I'm fine with doing that. I just don't want to get stuck on the idea that I can make a good life for him when in reality, he's miserable. I'd love some feedback.

Hi all - new member here!

Backstory: I did a crash course in duck husbandry this year and opted for a handful of runner ducklings for egg production. The feed store threw in an extra because she had a case of wry neck and they didn't know what to do with her, so I brought her home and learned all the things about supplementation and proper feeding and somehow got this duckling upright (although she never really has been 100%) and back with her friends. Fast forward to her first molt - the nutritional demands had her back to doing stargazing and backflips again and after finding her cast upside down twice, I opted to separate her for more intensive care. Because I'm a softie and knowing she needed a buddy, I posted on my local livestock forum looking for another duck with "issues" that wouldn't out compete her at the food bowl, etc. Someone offered me a Pekin that couldn't walk because it "grew too fast for it's legs." Selling point was that it was a female (ha!) duck, so I drove halfway across the state to go get it. (The things I do.)

Turns out that the LARGEST pekin I've ever seen in my life is actually a drake. (Husband took one look and named him the USS Barry White.) I think he suffered from niacin deficiency as a duckling and as near as I can tell, his joints are permanently deformed.

So at the moment, I'm housing both ducks in a large dog kennel in my livingroom on a thick bed of hay. They are very polite houseguests. The pressure sores on the Pekin have cleared up (he was initially housed on hard ground). I'm filling the bathtub daily for them. Barry loves it. The wry neck runner duck, not so much.

My major question here concerns Barry (the pekin). Quality of life is important. He can't walk without twisting his feet around (I think the tendons have slipped or ruptured in his hocks) but does seem to shift himself on the soft bedding using his tail and balancing on his legs. He swims fine. He seems content. He has a great appetite and behaves pretty much like a normal duck. I am unable to gauge if he's in pain (or how much) - I'm just not familiar enough. Has anyone cared for a duck with this kind of condition? Would it be better for me to put him to sleep? He's one of this year's hatch, so I think he's about 8 months old. If he can be kept comfortably on soft bedding in his own pen with his little runner friend (with regular swim sessions), then I'm fine with doing that. I just don't want to get stuck on the idea that I can make a good life for him when in reality, he's miserable. I'd love some feedback.
I'm not an expert,hopefully they will come along to help you. Have you tried vitamin b complex in liquid form for both ducks? Also google a chicken sling ,maybe you can make 1 for the pekin . It's pretty easy to make

I’ll take a gander at Google (see what I did there?) for the chicken sling.

Both ducks are getting free choice Purina Duck Feed. I’m adding brewers yeast on top of the food (a dusting so it isn’t bitter -I’ll switch to nutritional yeast when this is used up) and I’m adding liquid B complex to water - about half a mil to a gallon container. They’re also getting all of my fresh kitchen scraps and treats of cut up apple or sunflower seeds. I occasionally give the little wry neck a scrambled egg for some protein.

Could you post a few pictures of the duck?

If the duck has had this leg problem since he was young, you're right, it's unlikely the problem can be resolved unless you see a vet, and have surgery done, which will likely be pricey, and may have a guarded prognosis.

Attempt can be made to provide him with a quality life through supportive care, although with some conditions the deformity may worsen over time to the point the hock joint swells considerably which can cause severe pain and discomfort. If you ever think she's to that point, it may be best to put her down.

Administering B vitamins, specifically niacin, letting the duck swim in water several times a day, and occasionally adding Epsom salt to the water to help in the reduction of the swelling are a few things you can do to improve her life. As would, making a sling for her, and keeping her on soft padded grounds to prevent sores from developing on her legs, and relive weight off the legs.

1604976359655.png

Back
Top Bottom