Crop not fully draining post ascites

Wphilbrook

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2022
Hello chicken people!

I have a 2.5 yr old ameracauna who recently had ascites. I drained her a few days ago and she’s starting to feel like herself again although I noticed that her crop doesn’t seem to be fully draining. She would hardly eat anything while she had ascites but I fermented some grain for her and gave it to her yesterday and she loved it. It was good to see her actually eating as she’s been super skinny and fairly picky with what she eats lately (assuming from the ascites issue). She ate quite a bit yesterday and had a full ish crop but every morning she still has about a table spoon of feed in her crop that seems like it’s vacuum sealed in there in the mornings. She is finally having solid poops but they are still fairly stinky. My question is could this be sour crop? A pendulous crop issue? It’s not mushy or anything and I’m not sure if this is something I should be worried about. Also any suggestions on fattening her up? She’s skin and bones. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh no, we had a crop issue where the crop would fill up, but never release into her body, making her super thin and malnutrition. We got two of them and they both died. If you need to know how to tell squeeze the crop upwards until it pukes. If it comes milky than this is what you have, if it doesn't you are lucky! If you do have it, massage the chicken's crop together to break up any lumps. This was helping, but we came in too late to save our chicks, i hope this helps and your chicken survives!

Thanks for the info. It seems like her crops mostly draining but there’s still a little bit left over the next day which kind of baffles me. Is it possibly to have pendulous crop or sour crop with that little left over? I have been massaging her a bit.

Thanks for the info. It seems like her crops mostly draining but there’s still a little bit left over the next day which kind of baffles me. Is it possibly to have pendulous crop or sour crop with that little left over? I have been massaging her a bit.
Yes, I do think that's possible.

Back
Top Bottom